TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ?

I have a memory 'locked away' - September 21st 2012, 07:58 PM

This'll be a bit strange, so bear with me.

For a few years now, I've felt as if there's *something* in my head that I can't quite remember. It's like a memory that I can recognize yet, at the same time, can't recognize it's contents. It's...there, but I have no idea what it is. I get the impression that it's about something fairly big, which just makes it all the more annoying. I wish I could remember what it's actually about!

Whenever I 'see' the memory in my mind's eye, I can make out a picture, but, once again, I can't actually tell what it is.

It's bugging me more and more. Should I seek therapy?

Last edited by Pyromania; September 21st 2012 at 10:05 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 21st 2012, 09:56 PM

I don`t really see why you should seek therapy for that. A lot of people can`t recall specific memories, unless whatever it is is traumatic to you then I don`t see a reason to go to therapy for it.
Therapy wouldn`t really help you remember anyways, it`s more for helping people cope with something troubling or to learn skills that can help them deal with issues. Sometimes remembering something is part of therapy, but it`s not the goal.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ?

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 21st 2012, 10:11 PM

That's the point, I'm not sure if it's traumatic or not. My memory as a whole is notoriously bad and although I can remember extremely early memories, most of my childhood is a blur. Part of me wants to leave it alone, just in case, but the other part wants to find out real bad so I can lay the situation to rest.

Regarding therapy, I thought it could help you recall forgotten things. Guess I was wrong, huh?

Thanks for replying.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 22nd 2012, 03:21 PM

It's just your curiosity. If it isn't significant you're brain won't store it, try hard to remember and your memories might lie to you. No reason to dig it up.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 25th 2012, 11:36 AM

You could always try hypnotherapy if you believe in that sort of thing.

But, I know I remember shit events but I can't actually access them. It's like the file is corrupted and I can't get in without having the right password and then debugging it. I sort of don't want to know what happened though. Well, I do. I stare at things and hope for a memory and sometimes it works but jogs the wrong ones. My brain is far too screwed up to remember anything of value anymore though. Damn dying brain cells :/

Good luck with you memory,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 25th 2012, 10:46 PM

Hi there

It could be that the memory you're talking about is a traumatic memory and that your brain has repressed the memory meaning that its removed from the conscious mind and therefore you can't remember it. Now if this is the case it might be in ten years or so times, something is easy as smelling a certain scent or tasting a certain taste brings the memory back; it can be easily triggered. Personally I don't think therapy is needed unless the memory does come back and it is traumatic and has a negative affect on yourself and your every day life and you need help and support with managing it.

On the other hand, it could just be a random memory that is not from a traumatic experience. Unless you remember the specific memory, you aren't going to know what that memory is now.

I hope that made sense.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 26th 2012, 07:29 PM

There is a great deal of controversy revolving around therapy and "false memories." There were quite a few cases in the 80's and 90's where people suddenly "remembered" that they had been molested by their parents while talking to their therapists. It turns out that many of those memories were "false memories," and the reason why those people suddenly "remembered" those memories was because of suggestive questioning by the therapists.

I can't say whether or not you're failing to recall a good chunk of your childhood because you experienced something traumatic, or because your memory is simply faulty. If you want to see a therapist regarding this, you can... but I'm not sure how useful regular therapy techniques would be, and I would be cautious about engaging in things like hypnotherapy (for the reason stated above).

The bottom-line is there is no guarantee what you "remember" will be accurate, even under the best of circumstances. For example, eyewitness testimony has shown to be fairly inaccurate... and those people are just recalling things that happened a few days ago! Trying to remember events from several years ago, unfortunately, may be next to impossible.

In fact, many of us "create" our own realities. We're all biased in some way, so maybe we'll "remember" ourselves being much more heroic or helpless during a traumatic situation as a means of coping with that situation. Maybe we'll "remember" ourselves being much more rational than our overly dramatic friend weeks after a falling out with that friend. You can look at this gap in your memory and make whatever you want of it - which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I have a memory 'locked away' - September 26th 2012, 11:22 PM

I had the same feeling once; like there was something I was supposed to remember but couldn't and no matter how hard I tried to remember I couldn't. Like Robin stated there have been cases where false memories occurred and due to that I was terrified to mention my thoughts that I had this big memory that I couldn't remember. I knew this memory was important but I couldn't figure out what it was.

And then, my parents split up and other traumatic things occurred during their break up, mainly I experienced a huge ordeal of abandonment. And, due to that, I believe I remembered the memories. I think that, honestly, the abandonment I felt triggered the memories and my body was also ready to remember (my mind I guess is more the right word).

So, yes, you could go to therapy but there is no guarantee that it will help you remember and in all likelihood you will not remember until you are ready. I had numerous occasions and triggers that could have easily led me to remember but I did not because I was not ready. So, I am a strong believer that until you are ready you probably won't remember.

Now, there is a possibility you will never remember but then again you might remember one day. Don't push yourself because it will only pile on the stress. Therapy could be beneficial in the fact that you can deal with any present day issues/past issues and work on resolving them now which can help open your mind up to dealing with the memory that you feel you have forgotten.

But will therapy make you remember, I am on the fence about that and in my honest opinion I do not think it makes someone remember unless they are ready.

Hope this helped in some way.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread