TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Unhappy This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - September 28th 2012, 12:39 AM

So we went to the psychiatrist a few weeks ago, because I had been feeling super depressed that day and my mommy wanted me back on medication. I have diagnosed type 2 bipolar disorder, and I used to take Depakote for it but I stopped because it would make me sleepy all the time.

So I'm telling the psychiatrist about how i'm feeling and such, and she tells me that she wants to put me on [medication i don't remember the name of] for my bipolar. My mom throws a fit (well, not literally, she was pretty calm but she made a deal out of it) where she won't let her put me on something for bipolar and how she wants me on Zoloft. The psychiatrist tried to explain to her that that wouldn't work out very well on my end and I'd either be sent into a hypo-manic state or it would make me very, very depressed.

NOPE, MY MOMMY WOULDN'T HEAR IT.

Not once did anyone ask me what I thought, or what I wanted. My mom insists I don't have bipolar (She's the one who suggested I go to therapy for it in the first place) but I'm just depressed, even though I'm pretty sure it's more then "just" depression. So now I"m on zoloft, and i have been for 3 weeks. It's making me really depressed. I don't know what to do.

Send a message via AIM to Fineshrine  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - September 28th 2012, 01:32 AM

If you're suicidal and don't feel safe I would suggest going straight to the emerg room, I have Bipolar type schizoaffective (basically Bipolar + schizophrenia) and whenever I've been on just an antidepressant things have gone bad quickly. Your first priority is your safety.
Second, I would see a doctor about being on proper medication. I would let your mom know how this medication makes you feel and if she wont let you change meds, I would sit tight and go to the emerg if things get to be too much.

Unfourtunately until you turn 16 your mom can make your medical choices for you. Until then all you can really do is hope for the best and get immediate help if things become overwhelming.

Sorry I don't have much better advice.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Re: This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - September 29th 2012, 07:01 PM

Thank you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - September 30th 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Zoloft or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need.

Consideration should be given to changing the therapeutic regimen, including possibly discontinuing the medication, in patients whose depression is persistently worse, or who are experiencing emergent suicidality or symptoms that might be precursors to worsening depression or suicidality, especially if these symptoms are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms. If the decision has been made to discontinue treatment, medication should be tapered, as rapidly as is feasible [...] (Source: http://www.drugs.com/pro/zoloft.html)
Given the symptoms you just shared with us, I strongly suggest you call your psychiatrist in order to determine what changes should be made to your current medication. If your mom refuses to take you or agree to a change in medication, then as drastic as this may be, I would get to a hospital, calling 9-1-1 if need be. Your mother is your legal guardian, and she has a responsibility to ensure you are healthy, both physically and emotionally. It sounds like your mom wants to take care of you, but she's biased and has her own agenda. That is not in your best interests.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Re: This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - October 2nd 2012, 10:38 PM

Thank you very much for your information. I tried to explain to her this morning that my medication is making me depressed, and she told me that she's been taking it for years and she's known tons of people who've taken it and it never happened to them. I guess she forgot to take into context that it doesn't always work so great for teeny-boppers.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: This is bothering me. My mom won't let me talk. - October 2nd 2012, 10:52 PM

Have you tried calling your psychiatrist yourself and letting her know how the meds are making you feel. If you get to depressed I agree that you should call 911 or go to the ER your safety is the number 1 priority here. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
Closed Thread