TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Question Nightmares and dreams? - September 30th 2012, 03:50 AM

What causes nightmares? I've had a few about people close to me dying. Also I have a hard time separating nightmares from real life. I had a dream about my friend dying and I wondered all day at school if she was ok.
And what is the purpose of just regular dreams and nightmares?

-GoLauren

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Nightmares and dreams? - September 30th 2012, 04:31 AM

NIghtmares are fears brought up by your sub-conscious.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Nightmares and dreams? - September 30th 2012, 10:53 PM

A lot of time nightmares occur when you are really worried about something when you go to sleep, your brain creates hypothetical situations and "what-if" situations because you were worried about something the night before or just thinking hard about something the night before.

I thought about my friends clubbing at the notorious Kings Cross and my brain one night sent me into the situation of me as a paramedic (my goal career) treating my friend on the floor after she was spiked.

I was thinking hard one night about the day my friend was badly hurt and how I wtinessed that, so my brain put me in the situation and brought up those memories of exactly what I saw that day, which was extremely traumatic for me, so it came up in my dream.

So I would just say dreams and nightmares are role-playing scenarios inluenced by events and scenarios and thoughts and emotions and desires in real life, in your waking hours.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Nightmares and dreams? - October 1st 2012, 12:22 AM

Nightmares (and dreams) can be caused by any number of things. It's not a simple cause-and-effect, and it's not always about the "subconscious." For example, you might have a bad dream if you eat before going to bed (and don't give your stomach enough time to start digesting the food). If you watch a violent movie before going to bed, or if you think about a friend before going to bed, you might end up dreaming about those events or that person (maybe the two will even combine, so that your friend dies violently in your nightmare).

Information about the neurobiology of dreaming can be viewed here. Basically, given how much time you spend dreaming, you're bound to have a few nightmares here and there. It's nothing to be alarmed about, unless the nightmares occur over and over again, and begin to affect your life in a negative way.

Closed Thread