TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Out of it? - October 15th 2012, 03:39 AM

Well I've had this question on my mind for quite some time but have always told myself it was normal.
Whenever I'm thinking about a situation that has happened or something that might happen, sometimes it will become more than a thought. Like just today, I was thinking about a possible conversation with my psychiatrist and suddenly I wasn't just thinking about it, I was actually in my psychiatrist's office talking with her. While this was happening I thought it was real, it felt real, it looked real, it seemed extremely real to me.
I always snap out of it when something in real life happens like a loud noise or someone trying to get my attention.

I'm wondering if something this vivid happens to most people or if maybe it's part of my disorder.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Out of it? - October 15th 2012, 03:49 AM

Only when I've woken up and am still disoriented. There are times when I will decide I want to sleep in for a little longer, but I won't actually fall asleep. If a thought occurs to me while my eyes are closed, I may suddenly have the sensation that I'm somewhere else, doing something else. It's very vivid, and I'll be startled when I open my eyes again. That sensation is hard to shake for a few seconds - then reality sets back in.

I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your psychological professional. There's a difference between what I described (fatigue/sleepiness), a very vivid daydream (where it takes you a while to "snap out" of it), and a distortion of reality (which could possibly be due to your disorder or a medication). It can't hurt to describe these episodes and determine things like duration/length, how they impair your every day functioning, typical time of day or location when these episodes take place, etc.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Out of it? - October 15th 2012, 04:11 AM

We cannot diagnose what is part of your disorder so you'll have to take it up with you therapist or doc, it is possible though.
But this has happened to me before, but I am insomniac so I dismissed it as my confused brain screwing with me -shrugs-

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

October 15th 2012, 09:13 PM

I'll ask my psychiatrist about it then. I don't think it'd be because of my medication because I have memories of this happening long before I was given any. This has been happening since I was a lot younger but I always thought it was just normal.
I'm starting to question the experiences that I've come to consider "normal" lately though, after my last conversation with my psychiatrist made me realize a lot of what I have experienced and decided was part of growing up really aren't things most people go through.

I have another question.
Could this possibly be a form of dissociation? Or is it most likely a manifestation of psychosis?

Member since 2005

Last edited by PSY; October 16th 2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Out of it? - October 16th 2012, 04:00 AM

It's great that you asked, because before I responded to your first question, I was reviewing my knowledge of dissociative disorders! Depersonalization Disorder doesn't quite seem to fit - that's when a person feels detached, like they're watching themselves from the outside. It couldn't hurt to discuss this with your psychiatrist, though, in addition to possible psychosis.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Out of it? - October 19th 2012, 11:21 PM

When I'm in that barely-awake place where it's very easy for thoughts to become vivid dreams of the type where I'm not aware that I'm dreaming, this frequently happens to me. Except mine's about stuff I should be doing - getting out of bed, going to the loo, making breakfast - then I wake up still in bed and it really messes me up. It doesn't happen to me if I'm completely awake though. I think talking to your doctor or whoever is probably a good idea.

Closed Thread