TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 10:05 AM

So, yesterday I was seeing one of my CPNs, and we were talking about medication - I've been on 4 SSRIs in a year, none of which seemed to have any real effect. She told me that that meant that I wasn't really depressed...

"antidepressants work 99.9% of the time, if the person is actually depressed"...

Her words exactly. Now, I've had a number of professionals tell me I suffer from depression, I've read the literature about SSRIs and I've studied them in Psychology classes. I've always been told they're very hit and miss; they work for some and not for others...

What do you all think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 11:57 AM

Well your CPN is wrong. Some people are resistant to medication, which is why there are other treatment options. Just because 4 different SSRIs didn't work doesn't mean another one won't, or a different type of antidepressant won't help (yes there are a few different kinds, SSRIs don't have an effect on everyone). There are SNRIs, Tricyclics, and MAOIs. The only reason Tricyclics and MAOIs are still even used today is because some people just don't respond well to the newer SSRIs and SNRIs.
Some people don't respond to any of those medications, and if their depression is bad enough they often use ECT.

Trust me, you're not the only person with depression to not respond to medication.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 01:20 PM

Depression isn't going to be cured by medication alone, you need a good therapist alongside it to work through why you are feeling that way and to change the thought process. Meds only take the edge off of the feelings.
Hopefully there is a medication for you out there. It might take a while, but believe me, something's got to work!
Your CPN shouldn't have said that to you at all. I've never heard any professional say anything like that before, and I've seen A LOT! Keep trying to talk to other people and get their opinions. She doesn't sound like someone I could trust.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 04:08 PM

Hi there

I'm unsure of what your CPN has told you this. I've been on over twenty medications and haven't had good luck with any of them apart from one that seemed to help. I've just started another anti-psychotic and anti-depresent. It's annoying but chances are there will be a medication that does help you but it's about finding it so for now, it's going to be trial and error. Does your doctor prescribe your medication or do you see a psychiatrist? It might be good for you to talk to them about medication.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 05:26 PM

I think Hannah said it perfectly. Medication isn't magical, it wont fix the depression, it only helps take away some of the side effects like lack of motivation. While you are taking the medication you need to be going to therapy on a regular basis and building a strong foundation of coping mechanisms so that eventually you can come off the medication. Have you been regularly seeing a therapist while on your medication?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: I don't know how to feel about this... SSRI - October 26th 2012, 08:25 PM

I've been seeing a therapist for 2 years now - before during and after meds. I didn't agree with what she said at all... I almost found it offensive on behalf of the people i know with medication resistant depression. I may take it up with the psychiatrist next time I see them... in the hope that it's just her, not the entire nhs trust in my area! Thanks all, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to disagree with this!

Closed Thread