TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Advice? - November 1st 2012, 10:06 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, but if it isn't, feel free to move to the right spot.

So, last night, I emailed the counseling/psychological center at my college about rescheduling my appointment( that was supposed to be on 10/29/12, but there was no school that day) and this morning, the counselor I've been seeing sent an email back to me saying that he can't see me today or tomorrow, but he said that he would have to move our session to monday, 11/5/12, at 9:00 am.

Anyways, the important thing is that I want tell him what has happened to me within the past few days( suicidal thoughts, urges to cut myself, eating problems, etc), but I don't know what to say or how to say it. What I mean is when he asks me how I have been since our last session, do I say " I've been doing ok. Not the greatest, but ok" or " I am not doing so well". And if he asks me what's been going on, do I tell him the truth or just lie a little bit?

I already have a crisis plan, which we came up with on the very first session together. My crisis plan is:
  1. Call my best friend
  2. Drawing
  3. Talk to my RA(residential advisor)
  4. Call the University Police, who would then connect me to the counselor on call for that night
On saturday and monday, when my suicidal thoughts and the urges to cut myself were really strong then, I already did steps 1 & 2 and I was about to go onto step 3, but my RA was out of town because of a family emergency, so I couldn't do step 3 and I was going to go to step 4, but because of the hurricane, it had made the phone lines go down at the university police station ( but they had an alternate phone number), but I didn't know if the phones were working at the counseling/psychological center or if there was a counselor there on call.

So, what if he asks me if I had used the plan, do I tell him the truth?

I'm sorry if this may seem really long and totally confusing. I just don't know what to do. Any help/advice would be grateful.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Advice? - November 1st 2012, 11:02 PM

Your counselor isn't a mind-reader, and not all counselors will ask additional questions if all you say is, "Okay, not the greatest, but okay." I would make it clear that you've been struggling and need to talk about it... so why not just say that instead of beating around the bush? "I'm struggling. The crisis plan didn't work quite as well as I would've liked it to." That should lead to further discussion about what can be done to improve upon that crisis plan.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice? - November 2nd 2012, 12:11 AM

I used to be scared and never knew how to say it. I found for myself it is easiest to write how I feel or draw explaining and giving it to her and then she would ask. I eventually worked my way up to when she asked how things were I would say I messed up and ruined my progress. I then moved up to where I am now, to saying that I have been having the thoughts and doing the things again never actually saying what just saying it. She understood what I meant. I hope I was some what helpful but I am also the note or some sort of writing.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

Closed Thread