TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

No more. please - November 10th 2012, 11:09 AM

I do apologise for flooding the forums, but, I just don't understand this anymore....

OKay, I haven't officially been diagnosed with PTSD... but, with the flashbacks I have, the nightmares, and a shitload of symptoms of PTSD I self-diagnosed...

Tonight, I keep seeing flickering lights (I'm sitting on my laptop in the dark, and my lamp is on but my lamp is a weak beam (dim but works and remains steady). Then, the voices in my head, voices I vaguely rememer but can't really place a finger on who they belong to, then the sensations, fingernails on my skin feelings, I'm sitting on front of a fan but the room just feels hot (I've checked my skin and forehead, they are both as cold as the breeze on me). Every time I turn my music up loud, the voices continue screaming. I just want them to shut up, but the memory is too close... How do I break from this? I just feel afraid that these voices, this memory will overwhelm me and kill me.... What can I do to defend myself from this stupid oncoming flashback? One thing can trigger it, but I don't know, I need help but I can't get help....

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: No more. please - November 10th 2012, 06:04 PM

Hey Jay.

I'm sorry your struggling with flashbacks. You say you can't get help - Can I ask why you can't get any help? I thought you were seeing a psychiatrist (I might be wrong! ) but if you are, you can talk to them about it. Explain what's going on with the flashbacks and they might be able to give you some good idea's to help you learn to manage and cope with them. They might also be able to diagnose you if they feel you do have PTSD but of course they will have to access you first.

I don't have any great advice but I know that when I struggle with flashbacks, I sometimes find it helpful to sit down and kind of grip on to where I am sat to remind myself that I am where I am and that the flashbacks aren't real. Maybe having a cuddly toy or blanket that's comforting may help, maybe some music or soap/perform with a comforting smell might help you to recognise that this isn't actually happening. Make yourself familiar with your surroundings and tell yourself that you safe, the flashbacks are not going to hurt you and that what you are seeing in those flashbacks is in the past and it's not going to hurt you.

It might help, it might not but it's worth a try

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: No more. please - November 12th 2012, 09:25 AM

I saw my therapist today, mentioned suffering from flashbacks, she didn't say anything... That's why....

I have been sitting down most of the times I have a flashback, but once, really awkward, but I was walking and I just froze... in the middle of a road..... their annoyances, there is no reason for the bloody things....

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
peanutbex Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Becca

Re: No more. please - November 12th 2012, 10:27 PM

I think you need to see a professional to deal with your flashbacks, someone who is trained to help you work through them. In the meantime, try to distract yourself and bring yourself back to reality. Remember that they aren't real. They are in your head. Try playing some music, watching your favourite film, reading a book, calling up a friend, dancing for no particular reason, go out for a walk or a cycle, have a shower... anything to take your mind off it and bring yourself back down to earth. But I'd definitely say see a professional, particularly if you feel your are suffering from a particular illness.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lavinia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

November 14th 2012, 11:49 AM

For a conventional medical treatment, I would always suggest a doctor or psychiatrist. But aside from conventional medicine, there is a broad spectrum of alternative and traditional medicine, which doesn't rely only on natural medication, but on other forms to cure disease from the root of the problem.
One thing I know that works great for the mind and the positive/negative balance of human emotions is a good set of mantras. A mantra I have always used is "Maha Mrityunjaya mantra". When I recite it 28 or 108 times, I feel it cleans my mind. The ancient vibration of each sound is made to restore your energetic field from negative to positive. That is why good pronunciation is important. Rather pronunciation is more important than understanding what it actually means. :P
And for further effect, keep a glass of water in front of you where you recite, so that the sound waves of your chanting go through the water. After finishing reciting, drink the water; it is supposed to carry the positive health-giving vibrations and those water molecules will hydrate your entire body.

I mean, hey, I am not a scientist nor a monk or anything, but this is what I do when I feel down and it has a fantastic effect on me. It basically comes from ancient Hinduism where science, religion and medicine meet in same point.

Nevertheless, this is my most unique advice I can give and I am sure there will be few to give such advice. If it interferes with your own values and beliefs, by no means should you do it. In any case, I wish you a speedy recovery and I can at least advice that engaging in the good side of life, the positive thinking and pursuing good goals will help.....

this is a youtube link with my favourite mantra and correct pronunciation: youtube.com/watch?v=jIgaZ9iZ6Ns

Disclaimer: I am not trying to sell religion. This happens to be attached to Hindu religion, but I recommend it because it has its own pseudo-scientific reasoning and it works for me. I myself am a Christian, and most Hindu mantras are created to help humanity as a whole and irrespective of religion.

Last edited by PSY; November 14th 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Closed Thread