TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Unhappy is this some kind of mental illness - December 18th 2012, 11:56 AM

every5mins of my life im looking in door mirrow's looking in car windows playing with my hair ding my hair at home even when im at school and i judge myself likeproper bad and i will stand there up to 30mins at home in the bath room lookin at myself playing with my hair making sure my eyes are not to big etc if i dont feel a if i look good then i get all deprssed but when i do feel as if i look good im more of a a happier person is this like some kind of mental illness i kep checking my hair and everything every 3 seconds fuck its annying what shud i do i cant tell if i look good anymore or not because its out of controll another thing people constanly complain bout my hair my face all that sorta stuff at schoo like tell me to get it cut they say things like oh justin your hair dresser cut your hair wrong etc could this of made an effect to my illness

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: is this some kind of mental illness - December 18th 2012, 08:42 PM

Hey Justin, No one here could tell you if you have a mental illness, but it really doesn't sound like one to me. Based on what you said it sounds like you are really affected by what people have said about your appearance and it's made you self conscious. It's okay to be concerned about your appearance, but if you're doing things that are starting to worry you or it's interfering with your life then it's worth changing it. I would start by asking two questions

1. How do you feel if you resist the urge to look at yourself/fix your hair?
2. Aside from the input you get from others, how do you feel about how you look?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: is this some kind of mental illness - December 18th 2012, 09:45 PM

Although we can't tell if it's a mental illness, I can tell you that you at least have some issue with your self-confidence and image. Perhaps you should see a counselor to help you through this.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: is this some kind of mental illness - December 21st 2012, 01:18 AM

Hey there,

While we cannot diagnose you with anything it does sound like you have some issues with self confidence. But, I believe that those things can be worked one. I think that you should try and slowly work on minimizing how often you look in the mirror and fix yourself. Also, when you do look in the mirror try to remind yourself that you look fine just the way you are!

I think that the comments your friends are making could be contributing to how you are feeling and I think the best thing you can do is ignore them. Don't listen to the negative things they are saying because what they say does not matter. I know that this is easier said than done but if we listen to what other people have to say about us we are probably never going to be able to be content with ourselves because people will, sometimes, intentionally or unintentionally say things that are hurtful. I think that the next time this happens you should try to remind yourself that you are fine just the way you are and repeat it.

Lastly, do you think you could try and seek help from a counselor to deal with this? I know that can be a hard thing for some people to consider but it has been beneficial to a number of people and you might find it beneficial as well.

I hope this helped and am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread