TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 02:45 AM

My school already knows about my anxiety due to me showing them the worst of it -.- But currently I'm being assessed for bipolar disorder/other mood disorders and if I am given a diagnosis, I would rather my school not know about it, as I don't receive counselling at school I don't think they should need to. What are your thoughts?

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 03:07 AM

I don't know I guess it would depend if it effects your school work, etc. If it does then yes I think them knowing would be helpful, they might be mor willing to work with you on things, etc...that's my 2 cents anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
My school already knows about my anxiety due to me showing them the worst of it -.- But currently I'm being assessed for bipolar disorder/other mood disorders and if I am given a diagnosis, I would rather my school not know about it, as I don't receive counselling at school I don't think they should need to. What are your thoughts?
Unless it causes a problem that you need to be worked with. Like for instance, you need a test read to you. Then No, its none of their business about your Health. General or Mental.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 03:14 AM

I think schools should be like workplaces - they only need to know about your mental illness if it affects your ability to function in that environment.

So, if your moods don't interfere with your schoolwork, then I doubt that the school would need to know. However if you got really depressed and resultantly were unable to complete a bunch of assignments, your school knowing might be advantageous as you would be able to get necessary extentions.

It should be up to you. If you don't want your school to know, then they shouldn't have to. None of my schools did.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 03:29 AM

I generally agree with the above. Unless there is a reason your school needs to know about it (such as to explain absences or if you need extra time on tests) then they don't need to know anything. Your personal business is just that, personal.
I personally never told my university I had a mental illness, they knew I had some sort of illness that caused me to be occasionally absent or have to leave in the middle of class but I never needed to tell them any specifics since I had a doctors backing me up.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 03:49 AM

They only need know if it impairs your ability to work, but everything should be reported to school in case something happens. Any health issues are meant to be reported to workplaces or school. I had to tell my damn school that I'm depressed..

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 04:20 AM

As everyone else has said, a diagnosis may or may not qualify you for accomodations under a disability act (or the equivalent where you live) otherwise it's none of their business unless you end up in a situation where they need to work with you, for example you are hospitalized and/or need to slowly re- adjust to school etc. Keep in mind though, that if they don't know, explaining it as the reason for missing days or assignments won't work very well even if it is the reason.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 21st 2012, 06:32 PM

Keep it secret, keep it safe. In this political climate you never know when that kind of information could come back to hurt you (in future jobs, purchasing firearms, etc.) Unless the accommodations will help you significantly, don't ask don't tell.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: If you have a mental illness, should your school know? - December 22nd 2012, 05:00 PM

I agree with Jess for sure. But don't ever be afraid to reach out to someone at school if you're struggling.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread