TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 3rd 2013, 11:08 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I suffer from severe depression and have recently started self harming again (cutting to be exact).
I am also battling and trying to fight off suicidal thoughts.
So my question is:
Is it better to give up your life (suicide)to escape the pain but transfer it to the people that care about you or to walk through your life with scars on your arms and legs which people can judge,label and criticize you for being seen in society as mentally unstable as well as having every last bit of emotional pain carved into your arms and legs that probably won't ever completely fade?? .....
I'm really stuck at the moment

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/
  Send a message via MSN to Breathe~me  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 3rd 2013, 12:36 PM

There's a problem with your question, and that's that you're not giving yourself all the options you have. You can take the road to recovery, which may not be easy and may be long but trust me it's worth it. You can work with a therapist on your cutting and you can work with a doctor for your depression, it's possible to get better trust me I've been where you are.
I used to cut constantly, my arm and leg were both covered in scars and cuts and I was ashamed to show them to anyone. One day I got forced into treatment (although if I knew it would have helped so much I would have done it a long time before) and with the help of some great people I was able to stop cutting and work on my moods with both therapy and medication. Now even when I get depressed I can take comfort in knowing that I can and will get better as long as I stick to being positive and reach out to the people around me.
I even got a tattoo over my scars to remind me to not cut again

It's possible to get better, never sell yourself short of that.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Re: Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 3rd 2013, 01:40 PM

I've been focused on trying to get better for over 2 years now but in terms of my emotion well-being I'm just getting worse :/
and I have a counselor, she can only help me to a certain extent though.
and I use to be on medication although it just made everything way worse...

~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.

❤❤❤
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/
  Send a message via MSN to Breathe~me  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 3rd 2013, 10:20 PM

Medication can be hit and miss. Some people need to try a lot of different medications before they find one that really works well for them. You can't just dismiss medication being able to help you because one or two didn't have very much effect. I've probably been on around 14 different medications in an attempt to help my mood and when I finally found one that worked I felt WAY better. Just keep trying.

As per your counselor, you're right in there's only a limit to how much she can help you. School counselors are kind of on the bottom of the mental health food chain in terms of how much help they are trained to provide. I would suggest looking into getting a therapist if at all possible, you might find that structured therapy helps you more than the counseling is right now.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 3rd 2013, 10:54 PM

Richard is correct. I went through probably 18-19 different types of medication and I have been through many counselors and therapist.

I am going to ask if you feel you have the right person for you or the right fit? Do you feel she is the person to help you through it? I have found some counselors and therapist have certain things they are better at. Some are better with SH, addictions, relationships, etc. They have that one thing that they really connect to their clients with. If the person isnt working maybe asking to help you find a better fit. Let them know that maybe the way the are going at your problems isn't working.

I will also tell you just instantly dropping cutting is hard to do. I stopped by slowly decreasing. Only letting myself do it say 2-3 times a week vs. 10-20 times. It is super hard to just drop and I had the tendency to go right back to it after something new hit me. It took finding the right outlet before I could quit. I would also suggest giving yourself something for working hard to get better. I go get more added to one of my tattoos for every month without.

As for emotions, I can't tell you much but I can say finding what works for you to let go of the emotions is a big part. I helps you deal with them so much better. I write poetry and paint. I also write music. My anger gets poured out into my painting where everything else is a mix of music and poems. I used to also work out or go for runs to clear my head. Try finding what you enjoy doing and stick with it.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Re: Would It be better to give up or walk through life with scars? - January 5th 2013, 01:48 AM

I have the right person to confide in, She CAN help me through this but what I'm saying is that other people's help can only get you so far...
I'm not addicted to self harm, and I don't do it everyday or even every week. It's something I can control and I have control over how deep, the location and when I do it...
I'm Just asking this question In complete curiosity of what other people believe their answer to my question is. ..
If it helps; Just ignore the description part of it ...

~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.

❤❤❤