TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Andie

Can't be diagnosed under 18 - January 27th 2013, 07:39 PM

So I've pretty much self diagnosed myself with multiple personality disorder. I've told one of the school counsellors what I've been experiencing and she thinks the same thing. And one of the personalities toke over last night. Luckily it was the sweet, shy one. I ended up texting my boyfriend and one of my best friends.
I've been told I can't be diagnosed with it because I'm under 18. I'm getting a professional counsellor very soon. What are they going to do if they can't diagnose me? Will I just not get help for it?

Believe the tunnel can end, believe your body can mend.
Yea I know you could make it through cause I believe in you.
---"GO";Boys like Girls.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 991183 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Can't be diagnosed under 18 - January 27th 2013, 08:03 PM

Well, its no longer called multiply personality disorder, so the information you are reading is very outdated. Its currently called Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). I think the fact that your school counsellor told you that she felt that you had it was completely inappropriate. That is not her job to diagnose you, or agree with your self diagnosis. Are you sure she didn't just agree that she thinks perhaps you should see a professional?

DID is extremely controversial, not all mental health professionals feel it is a true mental disorder. And the ones that do believe it is real know that it is beyond rare to have. So it will depend on who you talk to. But, yes, the fact that you are only 15 could play a role in any diagnosis. There are a lot of complications that come with diagnosing teenagers as puberty can alter moods, personality characteristics, etc that would normally not present as an adult.

Now, whether or not it is or is not DID, that does not mean that if something is truly wrong you will not receive treatment or therapy. But remember, self diagnosis is often wrong, you do not have the training or whereabouts on how to go about diagnosing in general. It may be simple to see a list of symptoms and decide if you have them or not, but diagnosing someone is much more complicated than that and should always be left up to the professionals.

You will probably get several medical screenings to make sure this is not caused by a head trauma or seizure disorder. Once they have that information they will be able to proceed from there. There are several different forms of therapy, it just depends on which therapist you go to. Remember that being open and honest about everything is extremely important, the only way therapy is helpful is if you talk to your therapist.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Can't be diagnosed under 18 - January 28th 2013, 12:17 AM

Lizzie stated everything very clearly, and I don't have much to add. =) I just wanted to re-emphasize that self-diagnosis can be extremely dangerous, for many reasons. I wrote an article about this a while back, which you can read here. Good luck with your assessments with medical and psychological professionals - I hope they can find out what's going on and offer an effective treatment plan soon!

Closed Thread