TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LoveMeNot Offline
Average Joe

Name: Shelly

Question Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 09:47 AM

So, I really need to know something about Insomnia. In the past I have had mild cases of being unable to sleep, but I was in such a bad place I paid no attention. Well this week Ive been running on Energy drinks because Im unable to sleep. I have slept but its I finally pass out around 6 am and wake anywheres from 8-11. I do have a surgery this week but I know deep down thats not whats causing my lack of sleep. I was wondering if Insomnia could be an indication of a Major Depressive Episode coming. Im diagnosed with Dysmathia(sp).

---------------------------
I'm not your princess,
This an't our fairy tail.
I'm gonna find someone someday
Who might actually treat me well

I'll Keep You My Dirty Little Secret

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 11:53 AM

*Dysthymia

Do you take medication for depression (esp. SSRI, SNRI antidepressants)? These can definitely cause or exacerbate insomnia. The energy drinks certainly don't help, in fact any caffeine will make insomnia worse. You could also try sleep aids such as melatonin, nyquil, valerian root, kava kava, etc. I don't recommend sleeping pills, though I will say Xanax was the best thing ever for insomnia.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 11:55 AM

Hey there,

Insomnia is usually an implication of stress or depression (at times possibly both as I've found out). If you're worried about your surgery it would make it harder to sleep, and I'd suggest maybe taking the energy drinks out of your diet when it hits 12 pm so you don't have the caffeine in your system. I'd also watch your moods in case it leads into a depressive episode (but it does not necessarily implicate that it will).

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope To Cope View Post
If you're worried about your surgery it would make it harder to sleep, and I'd suggest maybe taking the energy drinks out of your diet when it hits 12 pm so you don't have the caffeine in your system.
Rule of thumb is actually to not drink caffeine after 4 PM, not noon. Caffeine only stays in your system for a few hours, so this way it will be out of your system early and your body will be able to produce melatonin (chemical that makes you sleep) sooner.
Don't use any electronics an hour before you are going to bed, and keep the lights dim if you can.
There are also melatonin supplements you can take. I use them, and they help me to fall asleep sooner.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LoveMeNot Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 07:00 PM

At this point in time Ive stopped taking my meds (2 months now), and the energy drinks are during the day to keep me awake. but I will cut them out tonight. The only problem is when it comes to the electronics is my tv helps me sleep, and im not big on complete darkness. Any suggestions for natural aids to sleep is areciated thank you for the response guys.

I'm not your princess,

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 08:06 PM

A good workout can't hurt either, in addition to the herbals I mentioned. I don't think the electronics thing is a big deal. I sleep with a little light (Christmas tree) but that's it, sometimes complete darkness.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Insomnia Question - January 29th 2013, 08:28 PM

I know it's 4 Nicole but I changed it so I get over the coffee crash too lol.

Light signals to the brain it's time to wake up, complete darkness and a set bed time will help your brain get into a routine.
Don't play on computer/phone or any technology while inbed because it also tells your body bed is for fun not sleep.

You can try a work out in the afternoon, not before you go to sleep, calming music in the background, or even just google a few sites for helpful sleep tips

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LoveMeNot Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insomnia Question - January 30th 2013, 02:31 AM

Thanks again guys

I'm not your princess,

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Insomnia Question - January 30th 2013, 04:48 AM

Melatonin supplements as I mentioned earlier are a natural sleep aid as it contains a chemical that you already produce. Insomnia is caused when you aren't producing enough melatonin.
They also make caffeine tea with some special herbs in it to help relax you and help you fall asleep. I actually just had a cup tonight. Look for one that contains valerian. You can also try peppermint tea, it doesn't contain anything to help you sleep, but i find it very soothing.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Insomnia Question - January 30th 2013, 02:21 PM

Everyone else has replied with some great idea's! Definitely try and cut the energy drinks out or at least try and cut down and the amount you are having. Like you, having the TV on quiet really helps me sleep. I can't sleep in the dark and I like to have slight noise. However, I brought a new lamp which I can pull up and down, so I now kind of pull it down at night so there is light in my room but it's very dim and I can sleep with that, without the TV on. Things like not going on your laptop late (It's and artificial light which can trick our brains into thinking its daytime), avoiding stressful situations (working, arguments etc) and avoiding complicated books and tv programmes that make you over think or that bring you negative emotion might help.

However, sleep is something I struggle with badly and have done for a long time now and I was told while I was in in-patient in December, to not try to sleep. They told me that I might try too hard and actually I just need to continue with my day, even if its 2am in the morning because when my body is ready to sleep, I was fall to sleep. So it might be worth trying a few different approaches.

If you're worrying about things (I know you said you've got surgery soon) then maybe you could keep a notepad at your bedside. Before you try to sleep each night write all your worries down and make them external instead of internal. And if you wake in the night worrying about something, then again, write it down, and then try and settle back off. It might help, it might not but it's worth trying.

And if this is an on-going problem, talk to people, ask for advice. I assume you might be receiving help from a mental health service and it could br worth talking to them or you could see your doctor too. I know here in the UK you can't buy melatonin in chemists etc (at least I think that's right!) but your doctor might be able to prescribe you it. There are other medications for sleeping too, but they are often used in a last resort and they are normally used for short time only.

Hope this helps a little! Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread