TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Question Community Mental Health Team - February 2nd 2013, 11:39 PM

Hi, I am in the process of being referred to the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) and I was just wondering if anyone else can tell me what happens when you are referred to here and what happens after the initial referral? Thanks. Sophie

Last edited by Palmolive; February 3rd 2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Removing prefix.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Community Mental Health Team - February 3rd 2013, 12:11 AM

Hi there Sophie.

On my discharge from CAMHS when I was 18, I was also referred on the the adult CMHT. In my town there atre two Community Mental Health Teams. One which provides short term counselling and another which provides long term help for recovery. Where I live, all the assessments are down at the team where short term counselling is provided. My assessment lasted a good hour and a half and it was basically just answering questions about the issues I have and the treatment I have received. Then that team makes a decision together about whether you stay there for counselling or whether you need to be at the other team (The recovery team). I was referred on to the recovery team.

I've since had appointments pretty much weekly but me seeing them is about managing things to stay where they are until my I can go through to psychology (there's a year waiting list). I don't know if you just have one team or even more where you live so it may be a little different but an assessment is normally done after a referral and it's important that you try to be honest to them so you get the right support put in place to help you.

Hope this helps a little, stay smiling,
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Community Mental Health Team - February 3rd 2013, 10:43 PM

Thanks Jessie.
I don't know how many teams there are, i just know that there is IAPT and CMHT and i'm being referred to CMHT. I'm concerned because the person i've been opening up to (as much as i was able to) has left and referred me to the CMHT and also swapped her counselling duties onto the wellbeing person i saw just to make sure i was being safe. I am rubbish at opening up and it took me about 20minutes of breathing heavily, stuttering and getting very overwhelmed just to ask whether an injury on my medical notes might end up being linked to another injury (that was identical) by a doctor! I don't know how i could cope with talking to a stranger about anything to do about me, nevermind what they want me to admit to straight away! If there is more than one person there aswell (like in the crisis resolution meeting) i would properly freak out!!
Sophie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Community Mental Health Team - February 11th 2013, 01:30 AM

Can you bring someone with you to that first meeting, Sophie? Talking to a stranger (or a team of strangers) may be easier to do if you have a close family member/friend/partner supporting you. It may also help to write down the relevant issues that brought you to this point. Sometimes, when I get nervous, I ramble and don't really make sense... but if I've written something down on paper, I can look at it and address each point clearly. Worst-case-scenario, if you can't even manage to say something while reading off a list, you can give the piece of paper to the person who's meeting with you, and allow them to start filling in the blanks with what you've offered. That may take some of the initial pressure off of you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Community Mental Health Team - February 19th 2013, 04:17 PM

Thank you Robin, sorry, i only just noticed your reply. My wellbeing person is going to walk with me to the appointment, but they prefer it if you go in alone, so i'll have to do it myself :s Yeah, i'm going to write things down and i'm going to tell them at the beginning that I can't tell them anything private about myself unless they ask me it directly in a yes/ no format. I'm not sure what i'll write down for them yet because I don't want them to know everything about me and i won't be able to look at them if they do.
Thank you very much for your reply, it means a lot.

Closed Thread