TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   New Medication (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t116256-new-medication/)

Music February 22nd 2013 03:22 AM

New Medication

I am starting a new medication and I'm wondering if anyone has by chance been on it or know someone who has been. It's called Latuda and is a brand new medication here so I'm having trouble finding any real information on it.
Any help is appreciated!

i_like_black February 22nd 2013 04:05 AM

Re: New Medication

Google to the rescue.

This is what I have learned from my search:
The generic name is Lurasidone. It is an atypical antipsychotic (so in the same family as olanzapine, risperidone, and quetiapine) approved for treatment of schizophrenia and currently pending approval for bipolar in the U.S.

Its main use is treating positive symptoms - so it's probably aimed to help you with the psychosis you experience.

In studies and clinical trials it has worked better than other atypical antipsychotics, including the ones I mentioned above.

The wiki article is quite short, it mentions basically what I've said here (I pretty much paraphrased), so if you've already googled it yourself I won't have added anything new to your knowledge.

In the mean time, from the sounds of what's on wiki, this is a good choice in medication, so hopefully you'll have good results with it. :)

Music February 23rd 2013 04:04 PM

Yeah you found basically all I found :nosweat: which seems to be pretty limited in terms of information on a medication.
The first time I took it I got very nauseous while I was at school, but it went away by the time I got home from school (so it only lasted like 2-3 hours) so I didn't really think much of it.
However when I took it last night I got the absolute worst abdominal pain, I couldn't fall asleep because of it. It was like wave after wave of pain I ended up laying in bed for hours and hours huddled up in a ball waiting for it to stop.

So now I'm apprehensive about taking it again. :glare:

Batman. February 24th 2013 11:29 PM

Rick, you have to give a medication a bit more time to let your body adjust. If the pain worsens, or doesn't go away fairly soon, then you should consider stopping it.

Ghost On The Highway February 25th 2013 12:23 AM

I will research it for you using my school's academic database. Expect another post soon.

Ghost On The Highway February 25th 2013 12:41 AM

Holy canoli that is a weird-looking molecule. Nausea is listed as a common side effect, as is somnolence (sleepiness) and akasthisia (not sure on that one). It is supposed to be fairly effective in improving symptoms of schizophrenia and has fewer adverse effects compared to haloperidol and risperdal.

Lurasidone In the Treatment of Schizophrenia
Mark Sanford, CNS Drugs 2013

Music February 25th 2013 03:27 AM

Do you think it could be because I took all my medication at the same time that night? Tonight I took the Latuda on it's own (because I actually ate dinner at a normal time) and the only side effect I've had is like, minor cramping.
If it helps, I take Lithium and Azathioprine at night too.