TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Problems at work - March 16th 2013, 01:45 AM

Hi there,

I'm a student at the moment and I work part time at the Students Union on the bars/box office/cloakroom/pub. It's okay, but it can be crazy busy which can be hard to cope with etc.

I worked earlier tonight and I kept dissociating during my shift. It's not like this is life threatening to anyone, but can't really keep happening. It's happened before a tiny bit, but never as bad as this. What can I do when this happens?

Also, my memory is so bad at the moment for whatever reason and I can't remember people or what they've asked for quite a lot of the time. Like, they'll tell me what drinks they want, i'll look down at the till and have completely forgotten what they said. Or i'll take payment for something and nearly give the change to the wrong person without realising.

Work donl't know anything about any mental health problems that are probably behind all of this, and I'm not totally sure I want to tell them, but I don't know what to do?

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Problems at work - March 16th 2013, 02:28 AM

First, I assume you're seeking help for the mental health issues? Because you will face stressful situations throughout your life - simply working less busy shifts or different jobs won't necessarily solve the problem.

If you're currently working through the underlying issues that cause the dissociation with a psychological professional, and you need a solution in the meantime, I would try talking to your boss about working different shifts. Maybe you'll still need to work the busy shifts from time to time, but if you can get a few shifts in the morning/afternoon (when fewer people are around), that might help. Additionally, you could try writing down the orders as soon as you hear them. That may slow you down with processing the orders, but at least it will give you something to look at. Also, one thing I recently learned about dissociating (due to trauma and other issues) is that it helps to have a "grounding kit." This kit should include five items, one thing to address each of your five senses. For example, you could carry an object or piece of fabric that "brings you back" to the present. A bracelet with an interesting texture can be rubbed and serve as a "grounding tool" when you begin to dissociate. If you haven't already learned about this concept in therapy, I suggest bringing it up and brainstorming!

Closed Thread