TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Psych review and moving to Adult services. - April 24th 2013, 06:43 PM

I have a psych review a week on Friday for the possibility of medication as i have refused everytime for the last year. I guess i just want a bit of advice really on what to expect if i am put on meds...i have had a psych review before and i hate my doctor but i have never got to the point of discussing the medication as my answer was a flat out no.
Also i was wondering if anyone could give me an insight into the transfer from CAMHS to Adult services. It won't happen until September but with my anxiety i need to know whats going to happen well in advance.
Any advice would be great
Hope your all ok
Thanks
Alex

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Psych review and moving to Adult services. - April 24th 2013, 08:29 PM

My advice on medication is don't be bullied into taking it. Psychiatrists really don't know why or if any of this stuff works, they just know it gives their job legitimacy to prescribe meds. I went through six different meds before I found one that works, and unfortunately I can basically never get off this one because it has crazy withdrawal effects. And I WANTED to be on medication. All the time no one gave me a conclusive reason for why one med made me want to murder people, one made my insomniac, one did nothing and one actually helped.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Psych review and moving to Adult services. - April 24th 2013, 08:38 PM

Hi Alex, first off I am going to start by asking you why you have refused meds in the past?
I have been on a couple of types of medication and although none of them really helped me, they didn't do any damage either. If you are put on meds they will hopefully help you cope with whatever you are struggling with, by helping to stabilize the symptoms of your problems.

As for moving from CAMHS to Adult services, in my experience it was a big improvement..and all that happened was they referred me to adult services, and then I had an appointment to see a community psychiatric nurse who assessed me and then we came up with a plan together for how best to move forward. I know it can seem daunting at first but it really isn't that bad...at least it wasn't for me. The important thing is that you will only get something out of any help if you put effort into it. You have to be willing to try new things and give people chance to help you.

I hope this was helpful to you, best of luck.

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Psych review and moving to Adult services. - April 24th 2013, 09:19 PM

Hi there.

I'm glad you've got support in place for your mental health and I'm also very glad you've come to us for some help and support here too. I do hope we can help you one way or another!

I've been on a lot of different medications. I would say around 20-25. I stopped some by choice, others I had bad reactions too (I tend to have bad reactions when I start new meds so I have to be careful). I'm now on three different ones. One is an anti-depresent which I started recently after stopping my old one. Another is an anti-psychotic which I've been on for several months. I've had it increased several times and although I still have bad hallucinations, they aren't bad, all day every day. It helps a little. And I'm on Diazepam and it's really helped me the past two weeks with how I've been feeling. Medications can cause side affects. Sometimes you have to try them and hope they wear of or if they don't you need to weight out the negatives and the positives of continuing to take it or not. Sometimes a medication helps but the dosage needs to be played with a little. Sometimes people need to try a few before they find one helpful because everyone finds different things helpful. Our bodies respond differently to different medications so bare that in mind. At the end of the day, going on a medication would be your choice, but I don't think you would have a lot to lose from giving it a try.

I was referred to CAMHS when I was about 14ish (I think). And was transferred into Adult services when I was eighteen. I was under CPA so it was a slow process. I had several meetings with my mental health worker in CAMHS while I was seeing someone from Adult services and "goodbye sessions" to end the relationship. And we had quite a few meetings around this time to make sure the process of it all was going smoothly because things at the time, weren't going too well that it was a worry for people of how it would affect me. It was a hard transaction but it was easier with how it happened and I get on really with my new worker in Adult services (it makes it easier that she used to work in a unit I was in at 15 and in the crisis team so I already knew her). Don't be afraid to talk to people about it and if there is something you want, ask. Like the goodbye sessions I had. This is your care, your treatment and you have the right to have a say in what happens, alright? I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it will be okay.

Also, CAMHS can be a little "cuddle you up in cotton wool" kind of thing. Adult services aren't like that. They make you take responsibility. Miss appointments, they'll just discharge you. They won't keep chasing you up to find out where you are and if you're ok. That can be hard to adjust too I think. But it gets easier. Work with these people, they want to help, okay?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask And I hope all goes well for you.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread