TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MisterCJP Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,142, Level: 11 Points: 6,142, Level: 11 Points: 6,142, Level: 11

Feel like I'm in a dream(I don't feel totally there) - Sudden random feelings of emptiness/fear/depression for no reason - October 17th 2013, 06:18 AM

Hi there, I have been having some extremely strange feelings over the past week-it started as just feeling slightly dazed all day, like I wasn't all there. A few days later I started getting these super random flashes of depression, emptiness and fear, usually when listening to friends, co-workers or even people on TV talk...? The dizzy feeling is still there and its so strange because I haven't lost any of my ability to focus on what people are saying or what is going on around me, so one way I could kind of explain it is that it feels like I'm in a video game but its third person and my person is carrying out tasks and doing things, but I'm not really there. This is extremely new for me, I have never had a history of any mental health issues, but I thought that it might be triggered by the fact that I have been extremely stressed out over the past year, as I have been trying to balance a job as well as doing online school at the same time. I haven't seen a doctor yet because I'm worried that he might perscribe me with some sort of anti-depressant or something and I really really don't want to be on any medication and I'd like to sort this out myself if at all possible.
Please if anyone has any information or has dealt with this as well anything you could suggest would help
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Feel like I'm in a dream(I don't feel totally there) - Sudden random feelings of emptiness/fear/depression for no reason - October 18th 2013, 09:54 PM

Hi there,
I would suggest seeing a doctor, they won't force you to take any medication if you don't want to (they can't do that unless you're a threat to yourself or others which you don't sound like you are) but they might be able to direct you to counselling or therapy services in your area that might help you.
Until then I would suggest you learn some grounding techniques. My personal favourite is focusing on your surroundings, You start by focusing on the feeling of your clothes touching your skin, then the feeling of your feet touching the ground, wiggle your toes in your socks and pay attention to how it feels, pay attention to your breathing, your heartbeat, run warm water on your hands, etc.
There are more grounding techniques available here which I would urge you to look through and pick a few to try.

Member since 2005
Closed Thread