TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nammie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help, please? - February 24th 2014, 11:22 PM

I've been having some problems in the past year to year and a half and you all seem to offer good advice, so here goes. Apologies forhow long this is. Problem number one is these ridiculous mood swings that I can't even describe very well. On one end, it's like I become very depressed except all things considered, I have a good life and nothing to really be depressed over. I get very sad and feel like crying, except I can't because I seem to have lost the ability to do that. It's not like I've been bullied or have low self esteem or something, because I've never had any problems with that. I also become so tired, but it's not physically feeling tired, it's something else that I can't name but I will come home from school, go to bed, and not get up until my siblings come home from their schools. Lately I've started to become rather suicidal at these times as well and I'll feel like I'm not even alive. This is made even worse because at the beginning of the school year I was having one of these depressed phases and began to isolate myself from almost all of my friends, none of whom stuck around to ask if anything was wrong. Now maybe I'm strange, but I usually do not mind being alone at all so I'm rarely ever feeling lonely, but at these very low points that makes it worse because none of my few remaining are close enough that I could trust and talk to them then. None of the adults I know are an option either. I wish there was someone I could go to then though, because it's really awful and difficult without anyone.

Then there is a flip side to this in which I can't sleep at all, do random strange things, be unusually optimistic about everything, and in general act really strangely according to others. I have been drug tested at these times because I am so unlike myself, but I've never done drugs so that came out alright. But the other things are starting to scare me. Sometimes it's just small things like skipping school, which I would never do otherwise, but it's not that big of a deal. Some things are really weird though. Like one time, I was doing a program at school and got there early, so the doors were locked. There is a really high bridge near our school, high enough that someone killed themselves jumping off a few years ago. My friend came a bit later and found me sitting on the very edge of the side, not even holding onto it, and just laughing. She asked me what I was doing and I apparently started talking about how beautiful everything there was and how I wanted a better view, at a mile a minute. I don't remember it very well; whenever these things happen I remember being there but not what I was thinking at the time. Also, the not sleeping part is really bad because it's usually like 2 hours a night and sometimes 2-3 days with no sleep.

So these are what I go between, except sometimes in the middle when I feel pretty normal. It's usually a couple days to a week of each, but I've had up to a month of both before. The second problem is anxiety, which is a relatively new thing, because I never used to be an anxious person. Basically, if something happens in the news like a fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, a shooting, etc. I am absolutely convinced it is going to happen to me/family/etc. I end up researching all about whatever it is, which makes me more and more worried as I read more. And then for the next 3-4 days I am literally waiting for that thing to occur, trying to be as prepared as possible for it to happen, until it wears off and something else takes its place.

I haven't read or looked up anything about mental health issues because I have a tendency to self diagnose, but now I'm kind of desperate to know what is going on. Does anyone know or have ideas at least?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Help, please? - February 24th 2014, 11:44 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

Please keep in mind that none of us can diagnose you over the internet; therefore, seeing a psychological professional (e.g., therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist) would be your best bet. It's good that you want to avoid self-diagnosis, too, because that can cause a number of problems (e.g., self-medicating, misleading medical and psychological professionals by over- or under-emphasizing certain symptoms).

With all of that being said, I think it may be worth getting assessed for mood disorders, including bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder can be characterized by manic and depressive phases. Again, though, I want to stress the importance of not drawing premature conclusions, as there could be other factors that would lead to these sorts of symptoms.

If you're not sure how to find a psychological professional, you can start off by meeting with your regular doctor/physician and asking for a referral. Your school counselor may also be able to refer you to someone, and there may even be a school psychologist on campus. There may be non-profit organizations, community clinics, and individuals with private practices in your area.

Here are some articles that may be worth reading (some may contain information you already know, but it's not a bad idea to learn more about how to receive treatment and how to approach the diagnostic process):
The dangers of self-diagnosis
Do I need a diagnosis?
Finding psychiatric services
Countering your anxiety

I wish you all the best, and feel free to keep us updated on your situation!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nammie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help, please? - February 25th 2014, 12:15 AM

Thank you. But the thing is, going to an actual therapist or psychologist is...just not going to happen right now, even a community clinic or something isn't really an option. And my school counselor is rarely there and doesn't really deal with these kinds of things, only academic issues. Are there any other options?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Help, please? - February 25th 2014, 01:26 AM

Yes, there are; however, if there's a chemical imbalance that's causing these issues, then the other options may be limited in their ability to help you. Furthermore, you need to take your physical well-being into consideration. If you've been engaging in risky, life-threatening behaviors, then it really would be best to get a professional involved.

Are you limited on options because you don't want your parents to know what's going on, or because you're concerned about the financial stress this could place on your family? Other options could include things like support groups (which may be offered at your school), changing your lifestyle (e.g., better diet, exercise, and sleeping habits), incorporating meditation and other relaxing activities into your routine, and so on.

Are you opposed to seeing your regular doctor or physician, to rule out general medical conditions that could account for these feelings/behaviors?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
sruthi mohan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: sruthi mohan

Re: Help, please? - February 27th 2014, 09:28 AM

these symptoms refer to bipolar which is that you become too sensitive or too aggressive mostly for beginners its too sensitive and over excitement , but you need to get help tell this to anybody who is old enough to take care of you , take care , everything will be alright

Closed Thread