TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 18th 2014, 03:35 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay so mine was because i had well attempted suicide, my friend called the cops on me after she found out and this crisis lady gave me an option which by the way was stupid. she said if i didn't talk to her...i would have to be admitted ...but truth was, that I was going to have to be admitted anyway because I had attempted suicide and like the only way, i wouldn't be admitted was if she thought, i was safe enough and with someone who just attempted suicide, that obviously wasn't going to happen so she threatened with admitting me and so i ended up just kissing the lady's *** and volunteered. so long story short, i went to the ER ... and talked to psychiatrist who also said i should be admitted, and i ended up staying downstairs in the ER for two days because upstairs in the mental facility, it was full so i had to basically wait. downstairs....i was being watched 24/7 ..even at night, they had to come in my room and watch me and i hated it because i couldn't sleep. The safety attendants that were watching me were really sweet, nicer than the people up stairs. that's for sure. i had talked to some counselors and stuff, which didn't do me any good while i was down there and so finally on....Wednesday (3/5/2014), i kept my bracelet as a souvenir ^_^ ...i went up stairs to my death bed basically. when i first got there, they made me ***** to see if i had bruises, cuts, etc. and then they made me put on these scrubs and then my roommate came in. The schedule was basically this

wake up at 8:30 - eat breakfast ,vitals, medication
after that - showers
after showers - Group sessions
after group sessions - school for 2 hours (thank god, i graduated already)
after school - go to the gym
after the gym - rooms/ lunch/nurse changes
after lunch - individual therapy sessions
after that - visitation
after visitation - snacks (which fruit bars and apple juice)
after snacks - long distance/local phone calls
after that - basically go to sleep at 10:00 which they call lights out which was very strict.

My first day was weird because like i didn't know anyone besides my roommate and so i kind of just hung out with her for the first day and then found out, there was someone from my old high school there and felt more comfortable and ended up meeting more people and hung out with them and i felt happy, i met a girl named Emily there who i personally thought was beautiful and i'll talk about her later but the facility had ended up making me have an anxiety attacks because of how closed in it was. it was just a small wooden floor (basically a track to walk around to check on the patients) and rooms, a cafeteria and that was it and i was going crazy, i was getting irritable with the nurses and cussing them out when they tried pushing my buttons. i couldn't write with a pen or pencil unless i was in 'school' or supervised, the doors to our rooms always had to be open and there was a point where i had gotten mad because i was in group session and i had offered a suggestion to one of the nurses holding the sessions and he went ballistic on me, telling me...he doesn't have time for what i have to say and i told him to kiss my *** and get over it. and this other incident was with this when i was in my doorway writing in my journal and the guy told me to get out of my doorway and i asked him why and he told me not to ask why and i still why and he started yelling at me and then ended up just leaving and i was pissed so then the next day, i yelled at this guy about wanting to leave and got upset and everything but then calmed down a bit but i still hated it there, you know? the one thing, i did love was the psychiatrist there, she was really reassuring about everything and got me to stop crying and everything and was like the perfect therapist but unfortunately can't be.

ANYWAY she put me on two medications topamax (mood stabilizer) and celexa (Anti-depressant) ....i got out on the 10th, and about the girl Emily, she was beautiful to me and i thought she seemed lovely and she gave me her number which you aren't allowed to do in the facility, you aren't allowed to share contact info but she gave me her number and i texted her and she seemed excited to hear from but then stopped talking to me after a couple days of talking to me.In the end, the facility sucked because it was just enclosed, no sunlight, just very tight and cramped and the food obviously sucked and i ended up actually not pooping for a whole 6 days. so ...yeah hahaha, my therapy starts on the 14th of April which is stupid because my 18th birthday is on the 24th of April so then i'm just going to stop going legally. i don't do therapy. the medication isn't doing anything besides getting rid of my headaches more. if anything, i feel 10X worse? My main problem is i just don't feel i do anything right...so yeah my experience is over .

after all that, i came home and everything was okay, my dad was nice and everything but i wasn't happy…it wasn't because of anything really, i just wasn't happy…i wanted to go back in my bed like always and just sleep but then i had gotten into the way of thinking, i do nothing right then i had gotten into a fight with this girl, i loved and i had upset her or so i think and now she wont talk to me…and now my dad thinks i’m getting better but i’m not, i’m getting worse…..it’s happening again…

now you can tell me yours, if you read mine....i hope you enjoyed

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxmoonxraverxx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: moon raver

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 19th 2014, 11:17 PM

Sounds like it sucked. I've been in a few more than a few times and all the times I've been in it made me worse.
But yeah that sounds like one of the ones I was in.

facebook: click here!
kik: superlockedwhovian

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 20th 2014, 01:41 AM

Been to one? I practically worked in one ! No really, I accepted a job at a facility for brain-injured patients before deciding it wasn't right for me. I'm too sensitive and take things too personally to de-escalate situations involving verbal and/or physical abuse.

Your experience doesn't sound too great, but honestly a psychiatric hospitalization is never going to be fun. These people don't know you, so they have a hard time really helping with whatever issues you may have. They're basically just trying to make sure you don't hurt yourself or anyone else until you're released. Does that necessitate a strip search? Probably not, but better "safe" than sorry in their perspective. That schedule sounds awful though, they could at least have let you play some video games or watch a movie!

My (admittedly unsolicited) opinion: Go into therapy with an open mind, even if you've done so 10 times before. Think of how many people you are acquainted with in day-to-day life, and then consider how many of those people you'd trust with your deepest secrets. That "needle in a haystack" effect is about how difficult it can seem to find a good individual therapist, but I can say from experience that it is worth it if you can find someone who can really help you. I wish you a fast recovery and no more traumatizing trips to the Psych ER! Obv. you can PM me if you want to talk.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 21st 2014, 01:14 AM

I have to say, thank you, for writing out your experience in being in a facility like that and it sounds absolutely awful and worse than I'd initially thought. I know US and UK medical ways can be a little different but some of it I imagine stays the same. I'd always wondered what it'd be like to stay in a place you have and honestly, now I'm glad I've never been to one. I've stayed over night at my local hospital for an attempted suicide but was released next day. I can't imagine having to be stuck in one for any longer than that. I think you were extremely brave and what I think was wrong, was how that lady on the phone pretty much blackmailed you into admitting yourself. Sure you weren't in the right state of mind but she labelled you without considering the consequences and quite unfairly too.

Here where I live, things are a little different, we're only admitted if we're deemed a serious risk to ourselves. I was fortunate to only have to stay a single night at hospital. I kept my medical bracelet for a long time as a souvenir too. For me it was a reminder of what I did and how bad things got for me that I had to be kept overnight at the hospital with constant checks and the horrible feeling when other people were in the hospital fighting for their life and there I was fighting to take mine away. After I got over a lot of my depression that way I let go of my medical bracelet and threw it out as a way of 'moving on'.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 21st 2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Been to one? I practically worked in one ! No really, I accepted a job at a facility for brain-injured patients before deciding it wasn't right for me. I'm too sensitive and take things too personally to de-escalate situations involving verbal and/or physical abuse.

Your experience doesn't sound too great, but honestly a psychiatric hospitalization is never going to be fun. These people don't know you, so they have a hard time really helping with whatever issues you may have. They're basically just trying to make sure you don't hurt yourself or anyone else until you're released. Does that necessitate a strip search? Probably not, but better "safe" than sorry in their perspective. That schedule sounds awful though, they could at least have let you play some video games or watch a movie!

My (admittedly unsolicited) opinion: Go into therapy with an open mind, even if you've done so 10 times before. Think of how many people you are acquainted with in day-to-day life, and then consider how many of those people you'd trust with your deepest secrets. That "needle in a haystack" effect is about how difficult it can seem to find a good individual therapist, but I can say from experience that it is worth it if you can find someone who can really help you. I wish you a fast recovery and no more traumatizing trips to the Psych ER! Obv. you can PM me if you want to talk.
sitting in the doorway and giving a positive suggestion isn't harming myself, no offense -_- and I've dealt with therapist before, i'd rather not

(#6 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 22nd 2014, 05:09 PM

I hear ya. The first and last time I've ever been to one was a rescue mission. I rush in there about to knock someone's teeth in and the secretary makes me wait while she runs around trying to find the money for the pizza guy who came in after I did. Disrespectful woman didn't do her job with a level of professionalism. So after that ordeal taking 10 minutes, she finally talks to me so I can find the person I came for. They take another 10 minutes to let me in the back room, where I find that person looking like crap and having obvious signs of being drugged without consent. Then this guy comes in asking questions which were undeniably just trigger questions intended so they can throw some antidepressants at you and call it a day. I told them I was going to take this person out and they refused, so I told them to strike a bargain, which was more than reasonable, and still they declined. At this point, I am bleeding from my palms because I'm clenching my fists getting angry again. I asked for privacy in that room, so they left. I was going to break the window and climb out, but I knew there would be so many problems with that plan, and that I didn't have the balls to do something so futile. So finally they told me to leave because it was closing time, and I ended up flogging myself pretty hard when I got home because I had so much pent up sadistic anger.

This was probably the most ridiculous experience I've ever had. It could have been a positive one, but it was instead so negative that it influenced me to believe psychology/psychiatry is for quacks and is pseudoscience. Because of a select few people, my perception of an entire industry has been skewed to an irreversible point. I will never be able to take these fields seriously, trust any information they give to me, or view people who work in these facilities as anything but unprofessional asshats. Perhaps this is not the view of someone who has been admitted to one, but I'm sure you can relate in that we've both had to deal with rude and unhelpful people, though it seems you made some friends where I could not.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: has anyone been to a mental facility? My story - March 22nd 2014, 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, every inpatient facility is going to be run differently; therefore, some will be worse than others. Not all facilities are bad, though!
Here's an older thread with some positive inpatient experiences.

Closed Thread