TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

gee thanks - April 26th 2014, 10:40 PM

So a lot of stuff happened and I was convinced to seek professional help and things got even worse. Recently I requested my records from the place I've been going to therapy from October 2013-March 2014. Overall I feel like a lot of things said on those documents are wrong about me. I'm just disappointed. In addition I keep thinking how horrible my experience have been with therapy and the hospital and I can't get it out of my mind because now that I think of it, my therapist has been more harmful to me than helpful. It's so confusing, between my stuggles, these professionals, school, my family etc. I have to do it all alone.

ps: what does it mean when in the category of "affect" there was a check by "blunted". I looked it up and it sounds like the intake interviewer is pretty much saying I'm a heartless person without emotions. We literally met for about an hour. And yes, I didn't open up to him as much as I would to a friend but this label is bothering me. Makes me feel like I'm a bad person.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: gee thanks - April 27th 2014, 01:00 AM

Hey Susan, I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time right now. If your current therapist isn't working for you, I'd suggest trying someone else. It can take a long time to find someone you're comfortable with. Also, it's common for a person to feel worse before they feel better. Most professionals warn clients about that, or at least they should. Let your current therapist know what's going on and if you don't start to feel better, or at least deal with this in a constructive way, try someone else.

Affect or facial expression has nothing to do with what type of person you are, it's pretty much how much emotion you display. "Blunted" means your intensity of emotion doesn't display as expected on your face. It can be a characteristic of certain disorders which is why they pay attention to it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: gee thanks - April 27th 2014, 12:00 PM

Hi Katie,
Thank you for the reply. I'm not currently seeing a therapist, I stopped in March. I was not told it was supposed to get worse before better. Most of our goals I "regressed".
I've been misquoted several times by the intake interview. And I feel my former therapist (former because I'm not seeing anyone currently) seems to be angry with me, based on the tone of her writing. Her words skewed the truth and if someone read it they can easily misinterpret things.
When I was at the hospital, in an attempt to get me on medication, I had a meeting with a mental health team and the doctor told me 5 months of therapy is a long time abd that I failed in therapy. She used the word fail. I feel like I failed as well. Lastly, the records indicate a letter that was supposed to be attached to the documents as stated "see letter" but I don't see any.

Last edited by Not_here; April 27th 2014 at 01:08 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: gee thanks - April 27th 2014, 05:43 PM

Based on what you've said I will go ahead and say that you've had a bad professional, or several and who cares how long you're in therapy if it's helping you? And then to blame you and tell you you "failed"? That's completely ridiculous and unprofessional. Not all professionals are like that, if you still feel like you need help, please keep trying.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread