TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ
Average Joe

EXTREME PHOBIA of anesthesia? - April 27th 2014, 12:33 AM

So I went to the dentist today and I found out my wisdom teeth seriously need to be removed some time within the next couple weeks, or they can cause me issues in the future. They are impacted and so I don't really have a choice.

The last time I was under anesthesia was in fifth grade and all I can remember is having a panic attack before and then waking up feeling calm - almost too calm. Call me crazy but I have a fear of relaxation.

As a depersonalization sufferer, I'm scared of losing control and I am terrified that when I wake up, I will lose it. I started getting panic attacks ever since I had my last surgery after the anesthesia and I don't know if it was the cause or if it's all in my head, but the bottom line is, at this point I would rather suffer through so much more pain with these wisdom teeth than get them taken out. When my dentist told me I need to get them out, the first thing I wished is that I end up dying before this procedure even happens. Most people fear not waking up from anesthesia, I fear waking up.

What do I do? How do I get out of it? How do I deal with it?

I have made myself sick from the anxiety. I feel so faint, and I don't know how I'll ever go through with it. I can't.

Last edited by Paint; April 27th 2014 at 09:53 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: EXTREME PHOBIA of anesthesia? - April 28th 2014, 10:09 AM

Hi, Misty!

I can understand why you're feeling so scared over this, lots of people have phobias and they are pretty hard to shake. Honestly, I'm not quite sure of what advice to give to get out of it because it sounds like you need this procedure for the wisdom teeth since they could cause you issues. You could ask the doctor if there's any other way of going about this other than anesthesia though, just to rule out any other options.

Have you started seeing a therapist yet? I was wondering just to know if you've gotten any medications for your anxiety. If so, that could help in this situation.

Would it help if you had someone accompany you in the room, like a friend or close family member? Might be a good idea to ask them to stay in the room while you're under anesthesia (if that's allowed). That may make you feel slightly more comfortable knowing that someone you know is gonna be with you, and waking up to someone familiar.

Sorry I couldn't be much help! I hope you start feeling a little better about this. Try to keep in mind that everything's gonna be okay!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ezra. Offline
Electric Blue Indigo Child
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ezra

Re: EXTREME PHOBIA of anesthesia? - April 28th 2014, 10:33 AM

My dad has a major phobia of being put under. When he had to have a badly impacted wisdom tooth taken out, he had the oral surgeon give him a local antithetic and was awake for the whole thing but didn't feel any pain.

I always wake up badly too and i have depersonalization, so i know what you mean. because of me being autistic they have to put me under for cleanings because i'll completely freak out on them otherwise. and coming out of it is always rough for me. My mom holds me when i come out so that helps some.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: EXTREME PHOBIA of anesthesia? - April 28th 2014, 12:24 PM

Guess what? You don't have to have them out, even if they say they're impacted. You only truly need them out if they're symptomatic, and are causing you pain or discomfort. I really strongly encourage you to keep them. Pulling wisdom teeth is a shady industry, and people rarely need them out if you do your research.

Having said that, if you're afraid of general, you can always ask for local. I had a surgery recently and the surgeon allowed me to go in without sedation, so I was awake and aware the entire time.

Closed Thread