TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Psychologist - how to tell my parents I am going (financial issues!) - May 2nd 2014, 03:25 PM

Ok So I have been dealing with issues around ADHD, anxiety and eating disordered behaviours for years now. I have also had problems with depression (ex. I feel horrid, stressed, like I can't possibly get everything done etc. then I get depressed, but that's usually the aftermath and not all the time like hasn't happened for years whereas the issues with anxiety and ED keeps coming back.... I was formally diagnosed with ADHD while in high school but not for anything else. To be honest, I left out information, I never told the psychologist that I wanted to hurt myself because of how unhappy I was, I was afraid if I did he would tell my parents. As far as I was concerned I wasn't actually going to hurt myself so I didn't want the focus taken away from the bigger issue (the fact I had problems with paying attention, focusing on school work etc.). I do feel I should have spoken up, but the urge to self harn was such a small blip in the overall picture that I didn't think it was necessary. But then you get the binging, hiding of food, the urges to purge, restrict etc and always having to work against those feelings. So many people don't understand. They think I work well under presssure, etc. and I do, but I still feel absolutely shitty all the time. I am contantly freaking out about my grades, about doing everything perfectly etc.

So now I want to see a psychologist and I can't afford it. The assessment alone is WAY WAY WAY WAY more money than what I have, there is no way I can possibly pay for it; I only work part time and make about $250 a month, so without my parents help I might be able to pay for 2 sessions in a month, but I think psychological assessments cost about $600 OR MORE and I can't possibly hope to make that much money in a month. I might get $800 in the summer and I also have bills to pay, I have to pay to move to a new city, I have to pay for vehicle expenses etc.

Even though I am still in school I can't imagine the province I live in funding me to see a psychologist; I depend on my parents financially and they make to much money for me to get any governmental support through the educational funds or the funds that support students with disabilities.

Provincial health care won't cover the costs.

My schools health insurance expired yesterday because I have graduated and everything I had there was only valid until May 1 of the year I graduate OR if I keep paying to go to school there. I don't start up at my new school until September so I can't rely on that insurance either (which I control) and I don't think they cover expensive things like psychological assessments any how - it is mostly some dental care and medical stuff that isn't covered by the province like medications and stuff.

But I also REALLY REALLY do not want to have to tell my parents about this. My dad basically thinks ADHD is a bunch of bull shit and is over diagnosed because he's never gotten over the traditional perspective of ADHD (those awful little boys who are incapable of behaving and who everyone hates because they are miserable little fucks who just misbehave bad 24/7) so he can't know under any circumstances, and I think my mom might misunderstand too, it's not like I feel like I have to have a disorder - in fact, I try very hard to say that what I deal with isn't necessarily clinical, my issues with food, weight and anxiety I think are all things that DON'T have to be problems for me, it's just that they've been passing in and out of my life for years now and it's not like a simple matter of will power makes them go away, they're always just things where I succeed and keep working hard despite the fact that those things are encroaching on my life and in my face, and I would like to make it so that, when they're rearing their ugly heads, I can control it better and maybe work through it better instead of having to press onwards like I don't feel anything... So it's hard to tell people that because I don't talk about it and I can't afford it on my own, but I just sort of want to take care of it and not have to involve anyone else.

Does anyone live in Canada (if you want more specifics on location please PM me) and who can please tell me how I caan find a way to afford this without my parents!!!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 9,868, Level: 14 Points: 9,868, Level: 14 Points: 9,868, Level: 14

Re: Psychologist - how to tell my parents I am going (financial issues!) - May 5th 2014, 01:33 PM

Are you able to inbox/PM me? I have ADHD and I have those problems you have said to be experienced during school. I think I can really help! x

Jade.

Jay

Live the life.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Peter Pan Offline
New Memeber
Not a n00b

Name: Peter Pan

Points: 6,359, Level: 11 Points: 6,359, Level: 11 Points: 6,359, Level: 11

Re: Psychologist - how to tell my parents I am going (financial issues!) - May 8th 2014, 12:25 PM

Its going to be really tough but if you don't tell your parents then things are likely to get worse. Are there other people you can see? I mean a different therapist rather than a psychologist which might mean your parents would be more acceptable/understandable because of the cost. But being honest is best, telling them is going to be difficult. Do you have a bother or sister you cab trust. So you can speak to them, then they can tell your parents? That kind of worked for me. *hugs* you need something and I really hope that you can get it. Most likely they have noticed the anxiety but you need to press this home a little. Maybe writing them a letter would help, you can say what you need to and then just hand it to them. Avoiding the having to talk to them. At least then they will have to come to you and ask which might be easier than trying to explain the whole situation.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Psychologist - how to tell my parents I am going (financial issues!) - May 13th 2014, 11:05 PM

The thing is that I am legally an adult, so I am free to make my own choices, like I do not need my parents permission or approval to do anything, I need help and that's that, so it's not that I need their validation to do so, it's just that I don't want them thinking the issue is bigger than it is, that I am just seeking attention etc. and as I depend on them greatly for financial support due to my still being in university it DOES mean that there are things with finances not within my control, hence the current conundrum. I am actually quite good with dealing with things on my own... I haven't even lived at home for 5 years now so yeah, its like I am fully independent minus my financial issues
I'll try to talk to my mom, i will do so when back in Canada, I just don't know what to say

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread