TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Horsefeathers.'s Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Gender: Absent

Posts: 9,295
Blog Entries: 81
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 12:55 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

(Feel free to move this if you think it might go better somewhere else, any passing mods or PAs.)

Are there any particular words, phrases, or stereotypes that bother you? It could be as represented on TV/in movies/etc or in real life, or both. For example, I find it strange that in just about every movie I've ever seen with some kind of serial killer in it, they're described as psychotic. I feel like the word is losing all meaning. Anyone with me?


throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.


Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; May 6th 2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Just sticking in a triggering prefix to be on the safe side.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Most Likely's Avatar
 
Name: -
Gender: -
Location: -

Posts: 556
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: September 17th 2013

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 01:34 PM

Mistaking "scary" and "creepy". Those are not synonyms. "Scary" refers to something that causes fear in you, well, from obvious reasons, like something being unnatural, gory, shocking, obviously "not okay".

Creepy is different, it's much more vague. Creepy can be called things that aren't really abnormal, but when we look at them, there's just something...wrong with them. Like dolls, mannequins. They aren't meant to scare, but some people feel extremely uneasy when seeing them (I hate dolls myself).


Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
gdheiwmow's Avatar
 

Posts: 203
Join Date: February 25th 2014

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 05:10 PM

I hate the word "help". For someone like me who lives on pride, it is offensive when someone says "you need help" or asks if I need help. I also don't like when people say "I want to understand" because it's such a ridiculous phrase. If you want to understand, do so or GTFO. I have no patience for weak individuals who say pretentious things like that when I know they're capable of drawing their own conclusions.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Lionheart's Avatar
 
Name: Oliver
Age: 27
Gender: Agender
Location: Neverland

Posts: 459
Blog Entries: 206
Join Date: December 17th 2013

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 07:05 PM

I hate it when people say things like : "You always..." or "You think..." because no, just because I did something twice doesn't mean I always and hell, they can't read thoughts!
I absolutely hate it when people think they know me and don't even need to ask me since they know what I'm thinking and always doing and... honestly, evertime someone starts like that I just want to slamm their head against the nearest wall or in the ground or something (I don't do so thought. Just smile and disagree, but I would love to...)
What i also hate are phrases like "that's gay" or "just go and die" because everyone says them way to often and carelessly and noone stops to think just how wrong and hurtfull this can be to someone. It's just wrong.


It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
may luck be yours.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
cynefin's Avatar
 
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: 1261'

Posts: 10,204
Blog Entries: 1630
Join Date: August 25th 2012

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 07:22 PM

I have seen a lot of people on social media encourage people to do some serious harm to themselves and that bothers me to know that there are people out there who are so heartless.

I can't stand it when someone makes a joke about rape and abuse or anything related.

I'm not a fan of "text language" either, but that's just because I like good grammar and spelling.


Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Last edited by cynefin; May 3rd 2014 at 11:45 PM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,718
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 08:14 PM

It annoys me when people use mental illness terms in everyday life sometimes but not all the time. Phrases like "My OCD is kicking in" or "That person is so bipolar".

Also, when someone gets "upset" over something silly and then in a joking way says "I'm going to kill myself".
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
mskawrak98 Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
mskawrak98's Avatar
 
Name: Mo
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom

Posts: 76
Join Date: February 8th 2014

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 09:45 PM

I hate how the word gay is now an insult. It shouldn't be an insult, but it's being classed as one. If you don't like a certain film, then apparently 'you're gay'. It doesn't make sense.


When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
sunflower Offline
bathing in lavender sunshine
Average Joe
***
 
sunflower's Avatar
 
Name: Donné
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 131
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: April 18th 2014

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 3rd 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi. View Post
It annoys me when people use mental illness terms in everyday life sometimes but not all the time. Phrases like "My OCD is kicking in" or "That person is so bipolar".

Also, when someone gets "upset" over something silly and then in a joking way says "I'm going to kill myself".
I totally agree! That really pisses me off.

"you have a lot of potential" or any variation of that. That is such a bullshit sentence, don't even try to talk to me after you say that to me. It's just foolishness.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Spoons's Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 24
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,740
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 12:54 AM

I can't stand the term "self mutilation" for some reason. People have mentioned that term to me before and thankfully I've been able to ask them to stop, because it makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

I don't remember the exact phrases they used, but at the end of the year last year, my English teacher played music for us, and he played some Evanescence because he knew I liked it, and some of the other students were making wrist-cutting motions and making suicide and self harm jokes.

Or, I honestly heard the whole "Down the street, not across the road" comment in reference to self harm the other day on the bus.


   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
sunflower Offline
bathing in lavender sunshine
Average Joe
***
 
sunflower's Avatar
 
Name: Donné
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Posts: 131
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: April 18th 2014

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpop. View Post
I can't stand the term "self mutilation" for some reason. People have mentioned that term to me before and thankfully I've been able to ask them to stop, because it makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

I don't remember the exact phrases they used, but at the end of the year last year, my English teacher played music for us, and he played some Evanescence because he knew I liked it, and some of the other students were making wrist-cutting motions and making suicide and self harm jokes.

Or, I honestly heard the whole "Down the street, not across the road" comment in reference to self harm the other day on the bus.
That's really messed up of them...
'but I agree self-mutilation sounds so gory...
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough
*********
 
mindflower's Avatar
 
Name: taylor
Age: 23
Location: nashville

Posts: 2,120
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: April 15th 2012

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 02:58 AM

I think someone already said this, but when someone says "Ugh I'm going to kill myself" or things alike. Because no, they don't know what its like to tell yourself that and then to want to act on it, think on it, and possibly try to do it. You're having a bad moment, some bad luck, a crap day? Well.... well then there's people like me or like us or like, the one's who are really in a crisis life and have to tell themselves every second of every day not to kill themselves, that's how bad they want it.

I hate when people say that part of them is chubby, or that they're such a fatass. Humans in general are beautiful, and they don't really get that what they're saying is potentially what someone else is thinking every second of every day. Again, they aren't on the same level as someone with that dark and hopeless of a mind.

I hate the words "that's so gay" or "you're a freak" or "you're stupid".

I can't stand when people say that they or other people are (enter mental illness) such as schizophrenic, OCD, bipolar, depressed... anything along the lines.

I hate the worlds "asylum" or "shrink". They seem like harsh words for something that could be dealt seriously, like a hospital or institute, or a therapist or counselor. They just sound nicer, more caring, gentle.

I hate when people in general say that they're life means nothing and that they have no life because they're so addicted to a TV show or a band and that they're really just obsessed with something like that, that they put all of themselves into it. Put yourself in my, or other people's, shoes. Some of us, instead of Sherlock or One Direction, are addicted to self harm, drugs, or other forms of self destruction. And we are constantly searching for a life. Who really is living here?

Maybe this is weird, but I don't like when people use the term "cutting yourself". I prefer "hurting" or "harming". The word "cutting" sounds kind of... like they know what the action is, but not how we feel it. It doesn't seem personal, and it seems kind of blunt, and just a summary of something serious. Asking me why I cut myself is not a question. Ask me why I hurt myself, and that's so different. I would never get angry or anything by the word cutting, but its a personal preference. If you're going to bring it up, don't make me seem like I'm suddenly not human and I'm just a vague and sad stranger now.

Just, things like that. Bother me. I'm sure there's more....
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Saoirse Offline
Blind Saint
Average Joe
***
 
Saoirse's Avatar
 
Name: Connor
Age: 24
Gender: Boy Boy Boy
Location: Kansas, United States of America

Posts: 150
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: June 25th 2013

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi. View Post
It annoys me when people use mental illness terms in everyday life sometimes but not all the time. Phrases like "My OCD is kicking in" or "That person is so bipolar".

Also, when someone gets "upset" over something silly and then in a joking way says "I'm going to kill myself".
Agreed with this ^^ or the "I'm feeling depressed" when they're not really feeling depressed, but rather just a slight bit upset - at least, some people say that, that I've heard without actually having depression.

A BUNCH of gay stereotypes are what get me as well.
-Super feminine (voice/walk/etc.)
-Gay relationships require both people to be "the girl" and "guy" in a relationship, regardless of physical gender. It's just the gender stereotypes in general that annoy me.

And gender stereotypes in general:
-Men are supposed to be super tough and masculine.
-And other stuff, but can't think at 12:37 AM.

The phrases: "that's so gay" and stuff also get me. Even the insults. Or even jokingly "you're such a fag" really gets at me. I just hate all that.


_______________________________________________


Cura Personalis


_______________________________________________

Social Networking Team since September 2013 | Articles Team since February 2014
Visually Impaired/Blind Specialist
Assistive Technology Helper
General Technology Helper
  Send a message via Skype™ to Saoirse 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Spoons's Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 24
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,740
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Agreed with this ^^ or the "I'm feeling depressed" when they're not really feeling depressed, but rather just a slight bit upset - at least, some people say that, that I've heard without actually having depression.
This one I'm actually iffy about. I get where everyone's coming from but growing up I learned of "depressed" being synonymous to sad, so I've sort of stopped being bothered when people say that. Other things like someone being "so bipolar" yeah.


   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
mskawrak98 Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
mskawrak98's Avatar
 
Name: Mo
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom

Posts: 76
Join Date: February 8th 2014

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 4th 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoil View Post
And gender stereotypes in general:
-Men are supposed to be super tough and masculine.
I honestly hate this stereotype. It's stupid how if a guy shows his emotions at all, then apparently he's 'gay'. People need to understand that men have feelings too and not all guys wants to keep them bottled up inside of them.


When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

Last edited by mskawrak98; May 4th 2014 at 11:14 PM.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Name: Christina
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,281
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 5th 2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi. View Post
It annoys me when people use mental illness terms in everyday life sometimes but not all the time. Phrases like "My OCD is kicking in" or "That person is so bipolar".

Also, when someone gets "upset" over something silly and then in a joking way says "I'm going to kill myself".
I agree with this too. Growing up my cousins would make suicide jokes or tell me to go kill myself etc. The thing though, they didn't know that i was thinking of suicide at the time. I didn't go through with an attempt but I did plan and I came really close with one a couple of times. I do not consider that a joke at all and people who joke about that, well, they seem extremely ignorant to me. Suicide is not a joke, some people such as myself (when I used to think about it) were serious about it.
I also hate when people use mental health terms in a joking way. For instance people calling each other retarded or mentally retarded when someone does something that they do not get or that is silly. That just makes no sense to me. There are people in this world that are diagnosed as mentally retarded or as having mental retardation. However, now because of society being the way is, the term has been changed to intellectually disabled.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
LlamaLlamaDuck's Avatar
 
Name: Louise
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,044
Blog Entries: 295
Join Date: July 14th 2009

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 6th 2014, 07:21 PM

I hate the self harm jokes too. My first day at work the manager (at the time) called us all for a staff meeting and the first thing she said was "I seriously want to cut my wrists, yesterday was awful, we were so behind target!"
That bothered me a lot. I also hate the whole "That's so gay!" thing. My brother has said it a few times, then looked at me and apologised.

I just hate how mental illness has become so blasé and something to joke about in everyday life.

I also dislike the lack of full stop at the end of O.C.D but I can't talk about that.


Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right


We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Em.'s Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 302
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: March 20th 2012

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 6th 2014, 07:25 PM

I hate it when people say "don't do anything stupid" because I don't see self-harm or suicide as stupid at all, it's people's opinion of an escape.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Discontinuity Offline
arizona iced out boys
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Discontinuity's Avatar
 
Name: Cheyenne
Gender: Female
Location: british canadian

Posts: 34
Join Date: August 14th 2012

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 18th 2014, 06:22 PM

The word 'crazy' straight up. Especially when it's used in reference to a woman, i.e. 'my crazy ex girlfriend'. Something about it just makes me so fucking angry - it's so casually thrown around as a way to dismiss someone. People who use 'bipolar' as an umbrella term royally piss me off too. For some reason, it always seems to be parents/older folk who are the most guilty in this. Not every mental illness is bipolar disorder. I really hate the word 'spaz' as well, it's extremely invalidating.


“But some people can’t tell where it hurts. They can’t calm down. They can’t ever stop howling.”
- Margaret Atwood

questions about BPD? PM me.

blog.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stormy Rainbow Offline
Music Lover
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stormy Rainbow's Avatar
 
Name: Frankie<3
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lost in the storm

Posts: 4,421
Blog Entries: 28
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 18th 2014, 06:41 PM

I hate the phrase's "your so gay" or "that's so gay".
I hate the word Retarded. I have used the phrase "that's retarded' but then I apologize because my sister is mentally retarded but I've stopped saying it.
I hate the word "emo"
I hate when people make cutting motions at their arms when I'm around.
I hate jokes about suicide even though sometimes I make a gun motion to my head but I try not to.
There's probably more but I can't think of them



   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while
********
 
Nightblood.'s Avatar
 
Gender: She/Her
Location: United States

Posts: 1,820
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 19th 2014, 12:48 AM

I hate when people talk about something they do or feel as an actual disorder when they haven't been diagnosed. Like, "it's because of my OCD" when they aren't actually DIAGNOSED with OCD.

I also really hate "cheer up" because really, if I could cheer up then I would.
Also, any PMS comments relating to the emotions of another girl.



"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Not_here's Avatar
 
Name: nobody
Gender: Other

Posts: 2,536
Blog Entries: 571
Join Date: October 24th 2011

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 28th 2014, 02:35 AM

really hate when people accuse me of fighting when in fact, I was reacting to my environment.
It bothers me how stereotypes are reinforced in the media...whatever because I don't watch T.V. but then I hear people repeating it and I have to nurse my ears back to health because it was painful.

Really dislike when people name call....like "crazy" and "belongs in a mental hospital"
or like...assuming things. Or just stigma in general.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Wonder cake
Average Joe
***
 
OxyContin_For_Tizzles's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 191
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 2nd 2012

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 28th 2014, 09:21 AM

I get extremely pissed off when any of my friends, who are all beautiful, look at other people and say "Ugh, I hate skinny people".
I don't understand why they feel the need to say stuff like this.


I could dwell on my problems... But I'd rather make a milkshake...
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Not_here's Avatar
 
Name: nobody
Gender: Other

Posts: 2,536
Blog Entries: 571
Join Date: October 24th 2011

Re: Phrases that bother you. - May 28th 2014, 02:01 PM

that reminds me of how much hate is against overweight people too! Sometimes I hear people saying things like "she shouldn't wear that shirt, it makes her belly jiggle" and it's so hateful omg, let the person wear what they want. I can't stand it.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
bother, phrases

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2020, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.