TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Arrow Mental Illness Stigma Assigment - May 27th 2014, 11:23 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Any help with this would be fantastic, I'm saying a speech tomorrow and I'm just developing it now and my self-chosen topic is "Why we should strive to eliminate mental illness stigma". I've been searching through my own town's facebook and twitter comments and have found a great deal, but I'm looking for some more.

The first thing I'm looking for is comments you've heard or have received, negative comments I mean, that show stigma towards your/a mental illness. Such as "are you stupid", "you're just seeking attention", or "I hate my life ugh I'm gonna kill myself" etc.
Anything is appreciated.

Secondly, if you could describe your mental illness or what it feels like to have one, well, how would you?

I know its a big struggle and all of that, I myself have some, but I wanna hear from what other people are going through and how a lot of people really don't understand.

So anything is appreciated greatly, you'll remain completely anonymous and all of that, thanks so much guys and stay strong

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Mental Illness Stigma Assigment - May 27th 2014, 11:29 PM

Mental illness is like fog, you can't see anything else but your illness, it becomes you and you get lost within it. It's a vicious circle as it always comes back despite how hard you try.

Coping with people who have mental illnesses is just as hard as having it yourself, you are constantly worried as you don't know what they are thinking or what they have planned for themselves and the worry doesn't go away. My mum has bipolar and it's horrific, they take it out on you, then they take it out on themselves and it just never goes away!

I dont know if i've gone off topic, good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Discontinuity Offline
arizona iced out boys
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cheyenne

Re: Mental Illness Stigma Assigment - May 28th 2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixYou♥ View Post
Any help with this would be fantastic, I'm saying a speech tomorrow and I'm just developing it now and my self-chosen topic is "Why we should strive to eliminate mental illness stigma". I've been searching through my own town's facebook and twitter comments and have found a great deal, but I'm looking for some more.

The first thing I'm looking for is comments you've heard or have received, negative comments I mean, that show stigma towards your/a mental illness. Such as "are you stupid", "you're just seeking attention", or "I hate my life ugh I'm gonna kill myself" etc.
Anything is appreciated.

Secondly, if you could describe your mental illness or what it feels like to have one, well, how would you?

I know its a big struggle and all of that, I myself have some, but I wanna hear from what other people are going through and how a lot of people really don't understand.

So anything is appreciated greatly, you'll remain completely anonymous and all of that, thanks so much guys and stay strong
Mental illness is a very broad topic, and each disorder feels different - for your speech, you may want to specify which disorder in particular you are talking about in reference to a certain emotion (just for clarity's sake).

Most of what I've gotten is just ignorance. "You're crazy, you're a spaz, you're psycho." Or the slightly less imaginative "bitch".

I'll respond to your second question from my perspective as someone who has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. When I need to explain it to people, as it is a disorder with many different faces, I compare it to driving a car. A car like a Lamborghini barely needs you to tap on the gas for it to fly. However, a small beater car needs to be pushed a little bit harder in order to reach top speed. I am an emotional Lambo. The smallest touch or provocation is enough to make me fly into a rage, or a crying fit, or fits of manic happiness. You can't ever turn it off, which is inconvenient when you're stuck in the traffic of everyday life and attendant interactions (just to continue with the analogy). You don't need all that power behind you to deal with minor disagreements, but try telling your disorder that.

Hope this helped!

ďBut some people canít tell where it hurts. They canít calm down. They canít ever stop howling.Ē
- Margaret Atwood

questions about BPD? PM me.

blog.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Mental Illness Stigma Assigment - May 28th 2014, 07:42 PM

Thank you both for your answers. My speech went well, I mean it could have gone better but I think I did okay. Thank you thank you thank you so much, and wow, Cheyenne that's actually a really good way of putting it. I've never... ever thought about it like a car but I completely see where you're coming from. Having been diagnosed and probably could be further diagnosed if I still was in treatment, I really sympathise with you both and really appreciate your answers

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Mental Illness Stigma Assigment - May 28th 2014, 08:34 PM

I am glad the speech went well. I would be nervous talking about this in front of my class as well. Those analogies were nice to read too.

If I were describing it, I would say it is like being stuck at times, not sure where to go or what to do. Knowing where you want to be and longing for it but being caught in a place where you cannot get there. Letting everything be heavy and not easy to lift off and in some circumstances, not being easily understood which makes things even harder than they are without people.
I have been told to just grow up, I could be happier, that how I react is confusing, people just yell at me sometimes etc. (usually all of this is with family). My friends at school are a bit understanding--to understanding I believe at times--and I sometimes wonder if how they are is reality.
I know the speech is over but I hope that makes sense and is helpful in some way.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread