TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Bipolar disorder - July 27th 2014, 01:07 PM

Ok so I thought that I already wrote this. It I accidentally canceled it. Any how so I was wondering if you'd know if you were bipolar? I was diagnosed with ADHD at 16, people always think I'm hyper and that I talk a lot and super fast. But I also have problems with depression. I wanted to hurt myself during high school and was really angry a lot and would fight with my parents or brother. My mom tried making me get counselling but I said no and she couldn't really make me go if I didn't want to go. And in university I would get depressed a lot, I had panic attacks several times a week cause I was always so stressed out about getting kicked out of school. I'd impulsively buy things I didn't need. And I would eat even if I wasn't hungry which make it seems like I have an eating disorder cause I'd eat something that was bad and feel guilty and want to puke. But I have a hard time believing I have ADHD, depression, anxiety, and an eating disorder. But I also thought maybe it was to extreme to think I am bipolar. Like when it's good it's good. But it's bad when it's bad. And I get extremely hyper and happy but also extremely depressed to the point I've scratched my arms several times in the last year but I never make myself bleed. And I hate admitting I have problems cause I do really well in school and stuff like that so I always figure it's not that bad.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 27th 2014, 03:20 PM

All posts after June 9th were deleted unfortunately.
As you know we can't diagnose you, but here is a page with symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20027544
I have bipolar disorder myself, and it's gotten worse over the last few years. The mood swings can be very hard to deal with, so I can relate with you.
I've read that making sure you get enough sleep and eating a healthy diet can reduce the mood swings, however those two things tend to be "cures" to everything haha. I do think getting enough sleep is important though because it is easier to act out irrationally when you're more tired.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 27th 2014, 03:37 PM

Yeah don't worry I know no one can diagnose me... I just don't get it cause it's like I can still function very highly under a great deal of stress. Like no matter how depressed or anxious I feel I can still force myself to get things done and it does to make sense with my sense of serious mental health problems like bipolar disorder because I feel like it should incapacitate me more but maybe not if I only had type 2 or what ever? Would I know if I had bipolar disorder? Is it possible to still function? Cause that's my problem. I fit a lot of the symptoms and I've had issues with depression and anxiety but am also very hyperactive and talk super fast and get distracted easily so on... And it's just that it makes sense that maybe I was misdiagnosed with ADHD when I should have known I was bipolar if I hadn't minimized my depression and anxiety when I saw the psychologist? I dunno.... Like I need to talk to someone but I feel like if things are going right in my life (ex. Eating right, exercising, relationships with my parents are good, I graduated from university with high grades and am getting more schooling etc) that then maybe I shouldn't make a big deal of it just cause my mood jumps around a lot.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 02:52 AM

Hi,

It is great that you are functioning so well even though you get anxious and depressed but having the help from a professional would not hurt. There is not necessarily a need for you to have a diagnosis to go in and tell them what you are experiencing and to ask them how to work it out.
It would be best for you to go to a counselor or therapist and let them know you think you could be bipolar but you are not sure and you are wondering if they can test you for it. You can also inform them of how well you are functioning and that this is why you do not believe you are bipolar.
I do not know anyone with bipolar personally but I believe if they are managing things as best as possible for the severity of their problems than they could function well. A professional would probably be able to explain typical functioning ability of a person with bipolar than I am able to.
I hope this does not seem all over the place and is helpful.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 04:01 AM

I have been diagnosed as bipolar 2. The manic episodes are fewer and less intense and because of that I didn't even really suspect that I had bipolar disorder and neither did the doctors that I was seeing. The only reason that I got diagnosed was because my dad fought for me and explained that he had bipolar 2 and explained that he was misdiagnosed many times because of it.

The fact is that you might be bipolar but the only way you are going to figure it out is if you go to a professional and talk to them about your concerns and explain why you feel you might be bipolar. Once you explain you explain this to them they can do the proper 'test' or whatever it is they do to determine if you are bipolar. From there you can determine if you want to take the medicine necessary to manage the bipolar and get to a better place.

I realize that getting professional help for all of this is costly but it could improve your life and that is something to really consider. You deserve to have the best life possible and professionals can help you work on getting to that place.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 06:56 PM

Should I consider a psychologist, psychiatrist or therapist (MSW or MEd)? I would love to consider it so that I can stop feeling so conflicted always wondering what's wrong with me but idk...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 07:21 PM

A psychological professional with any degree can give you a proper diagnosis, once you know what's going on, the type of professional you go to depends on your preference. If it is a disorder that requires medication, you will see a psychiatrist for that, but they don't really do "talk therapy" the professionals who do, outsource the handling of medication to psychiatrists because they are qualified to prescribe it and the others are not.

A psychologist (PhD or PsyD) as one told me are "trained to look for problems" and find solutions

Social Workers (MSW or LISW) are more focused on the influence of larger context issues on the problem like family relationships, community involvement etc. and they can also connect you to outside resources for other issues like housing or employment services. (I think, I might be thinking of a case manager)

Counselors (MEd or PhD in counselor education) are strength-based meaning that they focus on what you do well and the resources you have available to you and within yourself to solve (or manage) your own problems. I'll admit I'm biased here since my degree will be an MEd in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

I would not suggest starting with your medical doctor unless you need or want a referral. They are not as well trained in diagnosing mental health disorders and in my opinion and personal experience, they tend to throw medication at you. Not all doctors are like that, of course; it depends on how yours works.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 08:03 PM

Thanks Kate

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
A psychological professional with any degree can give you a proper diagnosis, once you know what's going on, the type of professional you go to depends on your preference. If it is a disorder that requires medication, you will see a psychiatrist for that, but they don't really do "talk therapy" the professionals who do, outsource the handling of medication to psychiatrists because they are qualified to prescribe it and the others are not.

A psychologist (PhD or PsyD) as one told me are "trained to look for problems" and find solutions

Social Workers (MSW or LISW) are more focused on the influence of larger context issues on the problem like family relationships, community involvement etc. and they can also connect you to outside resources for other issues like housing or employment services. (I think, I might be thinking of a case manager)

Counselors (MEd or PhD in counselor education) are strength-based meaning that they focus on what you do well and the resources you have available to you and within yourself to solve (or manage) your own problems. I'll admit I'm biased here since my degree will be an MEd in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

I would not suggest starting with your medical doctor unless you need or want a referral. They are not as well trained in diagnosing mental health disorders and in my opinion and personal experience, they tend to throw medication at you. Not all doctors are like that, of course; it depends on how yours works.
I've heard that only psychologist (Ph'd/PSY'd) or a psychiatrist are the only ones who can diagnose a person with a mental illness. Am I mistaken? I thought someone with a Masters in social work or an MFT couldn't diagnose someone because they don't have the proper training/degree.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 11:17 PM

I know that counselors (MEd or PhD) can because this will be my degree and we are specifically trained in diagnosis. When I get to my second semester of practicum they let us start considering diagnoses for clients, but as long as you're under supervision, your supervisor has to sign off on your diagnosis because you work under their license.

From what I can find, LCSW social workers can, but MSWs can't because LCSW has had specific training in it

Licensed Marriage and Family therapists can as far as I know, but I'm not an expert on that.

As long as they've had the specific training in diagnosis and are fully licenced they can make a diagnosis based in the most current DSM. If they are in training, once they reach a certain level, they consult with their supervisor to formally diagnose clients, but they do the bulk of the diagnostic work.

School counselors do not diagnose.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 28th 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I know that counselors (MEd or PhD) can because this will be my degree and we are specifically trained in diagnosis. When I get to my second semester of practicum they let us start considering diagnoses for clients, but as long as you're under supervision, your supervisor has to sign off on your diagnosis because you work under their license.

From what I can find, LCSW social workers can, but MSWs can't because LCSW has had specific training in it

Licensed Marriage and Family therapists can as far as I know, but I'm not an expert on that.

As long as they've had the specific training in diagnosis and are fully licenced they can make a diagnosis based in the most current DSM. If they are in training, once they reach a certain level, they consult with their supervisor to formally diagnose clients, but they do the bulk of the diagnostic work.

School counselors do not diagnose.

Okay, thanks for the information!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

July 29th 2014, 01:02 AM

That is all super useful

I'm hoping I can see someone because I'd like an answer. It's just that I don't know who to start with. Like should I start with a counsellor and see if she wants to refer me for proper diagnosis or what? The more I think about it this makes just a little to much sense. Like to be bipolar would answer why I always thought it was so weird that I'd go from feeling "normal" to depressed/anxious to super wired and happy. And like I'll be so depressed I want to hurt myself sometimes or what ever, so I know that that's not a normal thing when it goes for weeks on end... But like the flip flopping makes sense this way.

Last edited by Eternal; July 29th 2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Double post.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 29th 2014, 02:09 PM

I found out I was bipolar in January, and I found out through being admitted inpatient for suicidal tendencies. I was scared to go see anyone before being admitted, so I never got diagnosed. My moods are intense. I go from being happy/wired to being down in the dumps in a matter of minutes. I get very irritable very easily, and I have impulse control problems. They diagnosed me based on that. I have manic episodes, but not very many... although they are increasing. I don't know. Point being is I had to see a psychiatrist to get diagnosed, but if you feel more comfortable going to a counselor first to see what he/she has to say about the possibility, then I say go for it. I know that my counselors in the past have wondered about possible diagnoses, and although they can't diagnose, they can point you in the right direction while giving you incredible coping mechanisms.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bipolar disorder - July 31st 2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks Brittany I am glad you were able to get the help that you need and I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It is helpful to hear about what other peoples experiences are for sure, it makes me feel less alone

I am hoping that when I move I can speak with someone and know if I should be worried or not

Closed Thread