TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Novocaine9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Arrow Major Depressive Disorder? - August 21st 2014, 11:40 PM

Recently I have been diagnosed with psychotic depression or major depressive disorder with psychosis. They have been giving me medicine for a while now and it's not really working. Kind of scared because I keep hearing things. I am pretty young and stuff. I haven't seen one major depressive disorder thread yet, so I finally got the guts to type one out. Is there anyone else out there with MDD? Does anyone know any coping methods?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Novocaine9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 21st 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover View Post
Recently I have been diagnosed with psychotic depression or major depressive disorder with psychosis. They have been giving me medicine for a while now and it's not really working. Kind of scared because I keep hearing things. I am pretty young and stuff. I haven't seen one major depressive disorder thread yet, so I finally got the guts to type one out. Is there anyone else out there with MDD? Does anyone know any coping methods?
Sometimes it feels just like I'm falling in the ocean.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 22nd 2014, 12:30 AM

Hey

Personally I have been diagnosed with that! So to let you know you are not alone

First off the meds take time (usually 4-6 weeks) for them to get their full effect. But you said it was for awhile.. So I would talk to the person who prescribed and they'll most likely up the dose or change prescriptions. There are plenty of medications out there! So don't worry if one doesn't work. It took me a long time to find the right ones. Everyone is different so different meds work on different people. They just keep changing til they find the right ones for you..

Umm.. Finding coping methods may help one but not the other.. Kinda like trail and error Some I use is writing, listening to music, talking (in general), walking my dog and coloring! But that works for me.

I totally understand it's hard. But you can get through it! if you have any questions or need anyone to talk to feel free to PM/VM me!

Last edited by Its.Just.Angie; August 22nd 2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Fixing typos :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 22nd 2014, 01:35 AM

My diagnosis before being diagnosed with bipolar disorder was MDD, so hopefully I can help a bit.

How long have you been on medication? Sometimes it takes up to six weeks for it to actually work because your body has to get used to it. I know it's scary to hear/see things that aren't really there, but it can be managed. I know for me, I distract myself with different things-- writing, reading, etc. Eventually the psychosis will disappear for a while. It's all about keeping your mind busy.

My favorite thing to do when I'm depressed is going outside for a walk with my headphones. I enjoy being outside because it feels like I can finally breathe. Maybe you could do something like that? Even if it's just opening your window to get some fresh air, if you're not in the mood to go for a walk.

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. You can get through this.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Novocaine9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 22nd 2014, 02:50 AM

Thank you guys so much! It's nice to know that there are other people who either share your experiences or try to help you the best they can by what they know.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 22nd 2014, 10:11 AM

Hey there,

You have been given some great advice so far. It is true that it can take time for the medication to work and it can also take time to find the right combination of medication. The most important thing you can do is be honest with your doctor so that he can treat you to the best of his ability. The more honest you are the better able he will be at treating you and finding you the right combination of medication.

That's really all I wanted to add. Try and stay busy and keep yourself distracted. Don't give up because you can get through this.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 23rd 2014, 02:29 AM

Hi,

You have been given some great advice.
I just want tto add, I have not been diagnosed with MDD however, I know what it is like to be depressed and to feel dreadful. I really think that you should give your medication some more time to work (if it has not been 4-6 weeks) and see if with time it will start to help. If it does not, do not be afraid to talk to your doctor because the medications will only help if they are the right doseage and medicine for what you are experiencing.
Also, I know that you did not mention self harm but I really think that some of the alternatives on the Self Harm Alternatives list could be helpful to you (such as the calm jar).
Just keeping myself busy is waht helps me: walking my dog, playing with her, doing classwork, organizing my room, whatever keeps me from focusing on my mood/negative thinking. I know it is a challenge but challenges can be overcome with the right resources and determination.
I hope this is helpful to you and that you get the relief from the psychosis that you are looking for and need.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Novocaine9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Major Depressive Disorder? - August 23rd 2014, 05:14 AM

Thank you for your input for ways to help me! To be honest I don't really experience depression as much as the psychosis. I used to have severe depression. It was really bad I had it about two years ago when I was 10. It was so severe that it caused the psychotic features. I don't really feel sad all the time, but when I do feel sad its really severe and I'm really sensitive now so it happens more often. Thank you for the advice Does anyone have any memorable experiences with MDD?

Closed Thread