TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RadioSerenade Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: The Limelighter

Visiting a Former Therapist. - September 15th 2014, 11:30 AM

A very good evening to all you awesome and lovely people. My name is Hamed Khatiz and I am a nineteen year old student from Sydney, but I am also a former one in one councelling patient. I first got introduced to Mano e Mano therapy by my Career's Advisor at my high school three years ago. I was always there at his office when bored, because I always used to stay back on early finisher days and we would talk until the cows come home, so he thought he night get rid of me and allow me to annoy someone else LOL.

That someone else was Brian, my first ever therapist. The experience with him was absolutely phenomenal, I got past some potentially life threatening, and I do not mean that figuratively, anxiety issues and I had someone to talk to. Although I did see a hint of the major problem surrounding mental health services in public high schools, but that is another day.

After I graduated, I moved on to a college, which in Australia, means a lower rung of the main University, owned by the same University. Anyways, I hid in my shell for a little before I decided "to the devil with thy fears" (if you remember hearing that quote once before from me, you are officially amazing) and made an appointment with the councellor there, after she was hired. I was actually very surprised, the experience with her was outstanding. I mean the requirement was nowhere near how urgent it was during high school but I did get some assistance for a major issue which was affecting my ability to see the situation properly and probably the most disturbing discovery I have ever made.

But then it really started. I then went to the full University after completing my studies at the college and getting an offer to attend the main university in the CBD. Now I was absolutely humbled but I knew that being able to support a proper campaign of study at University takes a lot of money in textbook fees and transport costs as well. So I knew I needed to find a job and I knew I have been looking for some work for about two years, since just after leaving High School and that has been absolutely tearing me at the seams. So I went over to the Councelling service in my University and made an appointment with them.

This experience was absolutely shocking and after two awesome ten out of ten, would recommend experiences, it has to come. You can read about this hear, because I wrote about the experience on my second account (only because this thread is getting kind of long).

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-m...come-way-life/

So that experience has completely put me off seeking asisstance with my University ever again, however the same problems have crept up again with vengeance, and they have not gone away, no matter how nicely I have asked. I still need help, I still need someone to talk to but I still need someone I can actually trust.

So I had a thought about it yesterday and have begun wondering whether it would be worth it going back to the college and making an appointment with them and going from there. I mean has that ever happened with one of you guys?

Have you ever had a councellor whom you thought was so awesome that after a gap you decided to go back there? I mean I am not even 100% sure I am allowed on campus after changing from the college to the University but I don't know, may being might be worth it going back there and speaking to the same person again.

I mean the only problem I have with seeking help from the same person a second time is this concept of.... not attachment but one-dimensional capabilities, the fact that maybe later down the track when I have to change councellors, that transition would be difficult for me and I would have a lot of trouble talking to someone else and therefore shut off.

I mean has it ever happened to you, and what are you thoughts, should I go back a second time or do you think it might be beneficial for me to find someone completely different to help my mental flexibility during these experiences. A real conundrum. I know one thing though, she would be surprised to see me a second time after a year away from the one on one therapy game.

Alas, 'tis a small world.

H.

Last edited by RadioSerenade; September 15th 2014 at 10:21 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Visiting a Former Therapist. - September 15th 2014, 04:18 PM

Hi,

I do not see why going back would hurt. You can go back and see how they can help you. The worst thing they can do is tell you that since you are at the university you are no longer able to receive services from the college.
You could also try speaking to a different counselor at the university. Let them know that you did not really get along with the counselor you spoke with last year and they probably can put you with someone else.
If not, maybe you can find some low-cost counseling outside of the university setting but near your university.
I hope this helps and that you can find a counselor to talk to. Other people will hopefully reply letting you know if they have had similar experiences. For me, I have had the same counselor my entire time at college and our relationship is far better than that of my previous counselor and I from when I was in high school.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread