TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

My dreams - September 18th 2014, 09:50 PM

I don't have a clue why, since I was 5 I have been having this weird dreams about Freddy Krueger every night. Thing is when I was 5, I never knew what he looked like, so when I saw the films it really freaked me out. I mean, I love the films and everything, especially the old ones as they are funny and they don't scare me or anything. Which is why I can't understand why I keep dreaming about him. I'm 24 and still have them, I know they aren't real and I wake up in the night sweating and crying sometimes. In a way I have grew to live with them and in some weird way if I stopped having them, I would be lost.
Sleeping pills make the dreams worse, so I'm not allowed them.
I've tried all sorts, even tried listening to music before I go to sleep and it doesn't work. Tried falling asleep with my earphones in and that didn't work either.
I write my dreams down every day after I have woke up, just so I can keep a log of when they get bad and when they die down again. The thing is there is nothing that could cause these dreams and sometimes I am scared to go to sleep but I know I have to.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: My dreams - September 19th 2014, 03:13 PM

It's perfectly normal to suffer bad dreams, between 2-8% of adults suffer from reoccuring nightmares from when they were a child.

Bad dreams sometimes will be the result of psychological conditions such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
If your nightmares are related to anxiety, depression or PTSD, certain forms of therapy or medications might help to alleviate these conditions and lessen nightmares.
Have you tried talking to a doctor? It is important that you speak to your doctor to figure out a treatment option that is best for you.

Some methods to stop nightmares:

1) avoid eating before bed, as it speeds up your metabolism which sends signals to your brain making it more active
2) Try and reduce stress, whether its yoga or meditating, reading or taking a bath before bed
3) if you're taking any medication at all then speak to your doctor as some can cause nightmares
4) improve your sleep if you can, cut back on caffeine, alcohol and nicotene and make your room a comfortable place to sleep in.
5) there's something called imagery rehearsal treatment, so take your nightmare and think about a different ending that won't make it as bad
6) make sure you aren't too hot or cold when you go to sleep
7) Maybe purchase a dream catcher, for some people they think it's rubbish but it can work sometimes as you know it's there, I have one and it helped me!

Hope you get this sorted out, good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CraZzyChiC Offline
CraZzyChiC
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: CraZzyChiC

Re: My dreams - September 20th 2014, 09:09 PM

You said that you keep a dream journal maybe there might be able to come to a conclusion to why this has been happening for so long

Inspirational Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RafaelEliassen

Closed Thread