TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Do you still stay in touch with your university/college? - September 27th 2014, 06:35 PM

So this is my last year at university (UK equivalent of college for people in the US) and last night I had a dream about saying goodbye to all of my friends after our last day at university together. It made me feel sad since these are some good friends I've made and I don't want to never see them again but I know a lot of them will probably move to other parts of Scotland/UK.

For anyone that's already finished university, do you still keep in touch with and see your old university friends? How often?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Do you still stay in touch with your university/college? - September 27th 2014, 09:25 PM

Hey Cara,

I have just finished university this summer, and it is difficult not seeing my friends anymore. They are such amazing people, especially because I never had many friends in high school.

I do keep in touch with them though. Since I have only finished this year, I can’t really say how often But every now and then I’ll drop them a line, and with Facebook it’s really easy to stay in touch and keep track of what everyone is doing. Me and my friends all plan to stay in touch and meet up, but as you said, it is difficult when they are now in other parts of the UK and also have other commitments in their lives. I’m lucky that one of my friends isn’t too far away, so I see her around once a month? I think for meeting up, you definitely need to stay in touch as it makes it easier to find a time when everyone is free.

It is definitely possible though! It it’s any comfort I have stayed in touch with my best friend from primary school for about 13 years? And I meet up with her every year, even though she spends most of her time in England, not Wales.

Hope I helped
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Do you still stay in touch with your university/college? - September 28th 2014, 09:21 PM

I actually moved about 3 months after I graduated. I still keep in touch with a few people. But not all of them.
After high school, I moved over 1500 km from home to attend university inn the first place, and I lost contact with a lot of my high school friends, so to be honest, I expected that. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with everyone and that not everyone would bother keeping up with me. Like a few of the people I made an effort with this summer before moving made an effort in return. Others didn't. Like I had a friend who kept saying "yeah, yeah, we will get coffee". And we never got that coffee. And I was sick of trying to chase her down to make plans. She's still my friend I guess but I just came to terms with the fact that we aren't the kind of friends who would be keeping in touch like I planned... I have another friend who moved up north while I moved farther south and we have been writing letters and chatting on facebook a lot.... One of my friends moved to the same city I just moved to last minute and we've been hanging out a lot. It's really hit and miss.

I know how you feel because that's how I felt last year and it was coupled by the fact that I had "been there done that" once before and had no expectations that I would keep in touch with all of my friends because that's how it had been the last time.... But honestly, you will keep in touch with the best friends. Others might be just a few times a year. Others not at all. And it's not as bad as you might expect.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread