TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Question Worried about a friends safety - September 27th 2014, 04:39 AM

So my friend, lets call her T, has had mental issues for a long time. She's 15 now but has remembered some things about her illness since she was like 6. Its been really bad for the past year and she's dealt with it for a good chunk of that without seeing a professional, she finally started seeing a therapist and went to a psychologist over the summer. The psychologist said it could either be schizophrenia or a brain tumor, which i'm guessing based on what she's told me over the time that i've known her, that its schizophrenia. Anyways, her parents have never really been supportive, they are very manipulative and wouldn't admit that T had any issues. They've told her very emotionally abusive things.
Recently since she saw the psychologist (who told her that she should get an MRI and be put on anti-psychotics), her parents refused to do either, saying that they were too expensive and that she doesn't need it. As i've seen since she went to the psychologist, T has gotten worse and I think that she really does need further medical care and I think she thinks that she needs it as well. Her parents a couple weeks ago talked to T's aunt (who is a nurse or something) what to do and is now making T her lab rat and making her go gluten free (made her be paranoid about every food and trust things even less) and now is making her take a bunch of experimental vitamins. T is completely against taking them and has voiced this, so her parents said that if she doesn't take them she can't go back to therapy or the psychologist and actually get help. They said that maybe after this, if after taking the experimental vitamins for at least 3 months doesn't help then she can go back to the psychologist. T really doesn't want to take them and wants to talk to her therapist before she does this but they're watching her when she's given them to make sure she takes them.
I worry for my friends safety because she has a past of self harming and suicidal thoughts as well, and she really does need something more than this but I don't know if theres anything I can do. Is this even legal for her parents to do? What can I do to help her? because frankly i'm afraid of what will happen if something isn't done soon.
Thank you for help in advance.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Worried about a friends safety - September 27th 2014, 05:14 AM

I feel for your friend and I also feel for the position that your put in. I would try to tell an adult like a parent, or school teacher,or school counselor what is going on and see if there is any thing they can do to help. If they are not helpful I would try to talk to your local police department they would most likely be able to do the most. The parents should not be able to forceably medicate someone against their will. In some states their is a law stating that if you are 16 or older (i think) you can see a therapist without parental permission. I would also check with local heath department or local police department for that one. I hope that this help you and your friend in some way. Just PM me if you need more help or just want to talk.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Worried about a friends safety - September 28th 2014, 12:51 AM

Thank you for replying.
I hate to be the person who has to do something but I know my friend won't and nothing good will come out of not doing anything about it. I think I may go to talk to my assigned school counsellor and not say her name and see what his opinion on it is. Thank you for your advice, I just don't want her to hate me for trying to help or her parents treating her worse if they find out that she's trying to get help with it...

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Worried about a friends safety - September 28th 2014, 02:52 AM

Your welcome. I understand you probably just don't want to lose your friend, but if they aren't treating her like a human being and giving her respect not to force her to take meds you should try to get her some help if you can. If you are worried that her parents might find out leave an anonymous note to your school counselor about what is going on. I know that she might be mad at you right now but she will be thanking you later. If you ever have any thing else you want to ask or just want to talk, feel free to PM me any time you need. Good Luck with helping your friend, she lucky to have someone like you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheGuyinCanada Offline
TeenHelp Sponsor

Average Joe

Re: Worried about a friends safety - September 28th 2014, 05:46 PM

It is good that you are concerned about your friend. I woud suggest talking to somoene about the issue. They might give you good advice

Closed Thread