TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HereKittyKitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

PMS Symptoms! - October 9th 2014, 05:08 AM

Hi, I'm new here, and here for support.
Every month before my period starts or just when it's about to begin, I get very gassy and bloated, which is normal, but the other night I felt headachey and nauseous and almost did vomit, but didn't. I don't get that very often at all, maybe it's just one of those things that happens not too often. I guess that's normal too?
But something that always happens to me is I get real moody off and on, and really fatigued, and I get these moments of depression and aggitation where I get angry easily, I presume too much, I think too much, I jump to conclusions, I brood about something, I get all pessimistic and emotional and moody and depressed and think the worst things, then it eventually goes away. But I get tired of it because it makes me feel like a freak, like I'm not normal, and I'm just tired of dealing with this. I don't want to get all moody like this every month, isn't there SOMETHING I can do about this? Anyone else go through this, if so I'd really love some support, thanks x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: PMS Symptoms! - October 9th 2014, 10:22 AM

Hi there and welcome to TeenHelp!

Symptoms of periods and PMS can change throughout your life, so when you had a headache and felt nauseous, that’s normal, even if you didn’t have them before.

Your mood swings are also normal. I used to have bad cramps and felt irritable. Now, I don’t have many bad cramps but feel more irritable and more emotional. You are normal, and you are not a freak.

I haven’t got a solution, but whenever you feel angry and jump to conclusions, remind yourself that it is probably your period and later on, you will feel better. You could try writing your feelings down on paper and then ripping it. Perhaps you could work around your period? If you know when your period is due, and you know that you will get irritable and tired, try to do any work before it happens, to give you time to relax during your period. You could also spend more time relaxing or doing things you enjoy, when you are on your period, to help get over the feelings.

I think that if it gets worse, or you can’t find a way to manage it, you could talk to your doctor about it.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
may luck be yours.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: PMS Symptoms! - October 9th 2014, 02:05 PM

Hello and welcome to TeenHelp!

I agree with what Holly has said - PMS symptoms can change throughout your life. Although I have never vomited around that time I do get really bad cramps that make it hard to walk sometimes.

If you're not in too much pain around your period you can try exercising because that releases endorphins (chemicals that make you feel better). You can try walking, jogging, riding a bike, or swimming. Exercising is supposed to relieve cramps too. Small, frequent meals are better as well because it'll keep your blood sugar levels where they should be. Make sure you're hydrated, too! Lastly, you can try deep breathing or yoga to help you deal with stress.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: PMS Symptoms! - October 9th 2014, 07:49 PM

Hi, I am glad that you decided to join TH. It's really an awesome and a relaxing/therapeutic place to be, so I hope that you continue to stay around. Anyways about your PMS symptoms I would agree with the people above^^. Those are normal symptoms to get when your on your period. I often get super moody with mine, but my story is kind of different since I also have pcos and I have depression and they make normal PMS 10 times worse. The one thing that I didn't see mentioned above was something called "PMDD" as know as Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I can't diagnose you with this but if you continue to have really bad PMS you should maybe talk to your doctor/GP about it. PMDD is defined as an condition in which a woman has severe depression symptoms, irritability, and tension before menstruation. The symptoms of PMDD is more severe than the symptoms of PMS. Like I said above I can't diagnose you with this disorder, but if you are having severe symptoms it might be worth bringing it up to your doctor and maybe even asking if PMDD could be the cause of it. But that's only if it is that severe, it might just be regular and normal PMS which is tough alone. So if you ever need to talk about it or anything else feel free to PM/VM me. You might also want to try keeping an journal, diary, or chart of you moods and symptoms when your on your period to find out what triggers these feelings, so you can start learning to cope with them. I hope that you start to feel better soon. Good Luck.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: PMS Symptoms! - October 10th 2014, 10:57 AM

In my experience going on the pill did lessen a few of my PMS symptoms which was a help. Remember like the others said, symptoms will change throughout your life. And maybe if you know these feelings are going to happen you can anticipate them and when you get upset remind yourself that you might not be feeling the most rational.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: PMS Symptoms! - October 11th 2014, 01:32 AM

Hi, welcome to TH!
I have not experienced what you describe around my period however I have had other symptoms and find taking brith control to help with regulation of my period to be useful. I take a pill that limits my period to four times a year and it significantly lessens cramps, lightens flow etc. (prob more info than you wanted to know).
I am thinking it could help with mood as well but this is something you would need to ask your doctor.
There is a condition that is known as PMDD which was described in a previous response, from what I know birth control can help with this and so can other medications probably.
Talk to your doctor if this keeps happening so you can get help for this.
Take care and if you ever want to talk, you can message me.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread