TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AlwaysCaring Offline
Average Joe

Points: 7,368, Level: 12 Points: 7,368, Level: 12 Points: 7,368, Level: 12

New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 6th 2014, 06:57 AM

I have to make an appointment to go see a new doctor because the doctor that I really liked who I was going to for years and years just decided to quit
I really hate the fact that I have to go to a new doctor because I really like the one that I had been going to. But it is what it is I guess.

I need refills on my meds that I'm on.
Will this new doctor refill all them meds?
That's what I'm making the appointment for because I need refills.

What if she won't refills the meds that I'm on?

Is that a clue to find a different doctor?

Also I hate getting weighed and the clinics where I live
require everyone to get weighed at every appointment

I don't want to know what my weight is because I know that it
changes on and off and the number alway's triggers me

What should I do?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 6th 2014, 07:02 AM

The doctor hopfully will refill all your meds or if they think you don't need some of them or wants to change them they might do that as well. Just because the doctor wont refill some of your meds isn't a reason to just up and find a new one. Because they might have a good reason on why they don't want to refill it. They probably wont do anything until they speak with you and see how you are doing. As for getting weight get on the scale backwards that way you don't have to see the weight.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 7th 2014, 06:13 AM

Talk to them about the meds you currently are on. However, if they are controlled substances then they may want to try and change your medications depending on their experience with medications.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 7th 2014, 05:31 PM

Chances are they will refill your medication at least until they get to know you better unless you're having a problem with it. They should ask questions as to what they're for and how long you've been on them (even though it's in your chart). As for getting weighed, you don't have to look at the number if you know it will upset you and also ask them not to tell you. If it's something you struggle with, you should tell them so that they can help you, be ready to answer questions about it though, in case they ask.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; November 8th 2014 at 12:18 AM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 7th 2014, 11:44 PM

If your medications are medically necessary, then they will refill it. If he/she does not, they will give you a good reason. If they don't, it's probably cause they feel something is better - like maybe they'll prescribe something else.

A doctor won't just take you off of a medication when it is medically necessary. Especially because a lot of medications you can't just stop using, you have to taper it (ex. I use adderall for my ADHD and I can't stop using it right now because all I want to do is sleep and I feel dead when I am withdrawing and that's not good for me)

As for weighing, you can always ask that they don't tell you how much you weigh.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: New Doctor, Getting Weighed - November 10th 2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
If your medications are medically necessary, then they will refill it. If he/she does not, they will give you a good reason. If they don't, it's probably cause they feel something is better - like maybe they'll prescribe something else.

A doctor won't just take you off of a medication when it is medically necessary. Especially because a lot of medications you can't just stop using, you have to taper it (ex. I use adderall for my ADHD and I can't stop using it right now because all I want to do is sleep and I feel dead when I am withdrawing and that's not good for me)
It depends on the doctors. The doctors do not have to prescribe anything they do not want to. They may prescribe dosages and a plan to ween it down in order to try a different medication or try a different dosage. It's why people should not jump providers too often although in this case it sounds like it is unavoidable due to retirement.
Closed Thread