TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Is this normal?? - October 25th 2014, 02:12 AM

I personally think its weird... But oh well... But I ALWAYS have to know the time.. Or else I get really anxious... If there is a room that has no clock and I have no way to tell time... Its like pure hell... I have no clue why... I have been asked so many times why I look at the clock so often.. Like I have to check like almost every five minutes (usually shorter) the longest I probably haven't check time is when I'm sleeping...one time I looked at the 15 times over a 10 minute period (someone pointed it out and seemed really annoyed by it) this is so weird and I'm really embarrassed by it... Its worse when I'm in stressful situations.. (Like the 15 times) if I don't know the time.. I freak out... Like if I'm in the class...

For an example... If I'm in a class... I'm always counting down the minutes from the class constantly... Find out how long I have been in that class, how much longer I'm in this class... I have to know every minute.. If its taken away (like no way to tell time) I get so nervous and anxious cause I don't know..... I was always like this since i was child... I can't believe I'm typing this.... But is this normal??? Like have to know the time constantly??? I feel so weird typing this... P.S. I have no clue where to put this theard!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Is this normal?? - October 25th 2014, 10:57 AM

Hey Angie,

Do you notice this happens more often in school rather than at home?

Wanting to know the time in school, is quite common since you need to know when lessons start and end, where to go next etc. Can you think of any reasons why you constantly check the clock in school? Are you bored or anxious in school? Sometimes when we are bored, we check the time to see how long we have got left, and we will keep checking the time because we want to get out of the class. We may also check the clock a lot when we are anxious, because we want to get out of the class too.

When you are in class, could you give yourself a target for looking at the clock, e.g. ĎIím only going to look at the clock _________ times in this lessoní Fill the space in with your target number and then start reducing it over time. So you might want to start with only allowing yourself 10 chances to look at the clock, and no more. After that, you might narrow it down to 8 the following day etc. Also, try to concentrate in class, on your work. Or if you are unsure of the work, talk to classmates and the teacher. You may find it comforting to have a watch, rather than rely on a clock, in case the clock gets taken away.

Since other people have noticed, and it seems that you are constantly checking the clock, even in a short space of time, it may be worth looking into. Could you talk to a school guidance counsellor to help figure this out? They can help you find out why you might be constantly looking at the clock, and help find ways of managing this.

Hope this helps

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is this normal?? - October 25th 2014, 03:17 PM

It could also just be a thing that's more specific for you.
Every one has character characteristics (that sounds stupid)
I for one know that when it's about time I really want to know it specific (which is why I can't stand analog clocks.)
You might want to talk to someone about it though because it might be soemthing that's gotta do with autism or OCD. Don't stress out though! It's possible but good chances are it hasn't got anything to do with something like that.
And getting a watch sounds like a great idea to me.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Is this normal?? - October 28th 2014, 02:35 PM

Hi,
I used to do something similar when I was in middle and high school. I would ask people what the time was constantly during classes and I would look at the time on my computer frequently. For me it was related to being bored mainly because I disliked some classes and could not wait to get out of them. I also would do this if I knew i had to leave class early like if I had an appointment and my time to leave was in the middle of a period.
Another eason I always wanted to know the time was to know when school would end in general. I kew the exact minute school started, ended and the exact amount of hours and minutes until the day ended so that I could figure out when to leave school (ie. if I had four hours and fifteen minutes left etc.).
I believe a lot of this could be do to being bored, having a hard time focusing on your classes, maybe some sort of pre-occupation with needing to know when things are and how long you have to spend doing them etc. I am only assuming this because of my own reasoning as to why I did this.
It could definitely help as was previously suggested if you get a watch you can wear but applying the amount of times you check the time to the watch and not just the clock is helpful too. So once you have the watch and you are in class, check the watch only ten times in the first class, then go down to whatever you feel comfortable with the second time etc.
I naturally grew out of this habit once I got out of such a regimen of planned scheduling (now that I am in college classes are all over the place) so I somehow found ways to fill my time and the priority to check time so often faded for me once I planned my time and re
alized I determine how long I spend doing things, if I go to or skip class etc.
If you find after a couple of weeks that you are unable to limit your checking of the clock and your anxiety continues, I suggest you speak to your school guidance counselor or if you see a counselor or therapist for any reason, talk to them about this. This could be related to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and could be a compulsion for you which requires a similar form of eliviating that we have described however there are other questions your therapist would ask to help determine how much this is ampacting your concentration in classes, social situations etc.
Hope this helps and that things get figured out soon.
If you would like to talk more, you can PM me and I will be glad to listen or help how I can.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread