TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

the NHS and therapy - November 10th 2014, 04:29 PM

I'm just going to get right into it.

february this year (2014) i decided to see a doctor for help on depression and anxiety as they were taking over my life and i just didn't know what to do because i've been suffering with them both for over 2 years and it's exhausting just putting up with them. i didn't even know if i wanted that help i just went out and got it just in case. after plenty of referrals and seeing different people i was told that i would be contacted for therapy. my doctor had decided that therapy was the path for me to take and i just agreed because i wasn't allowed anti-depressants so i guess that was the only way. (i wasn't allowed anti-depressants because they rarely give them to young people apparently idk)

now my anxiety is mostly social anxiety so i have trouble with phone calls... and the only way i would be contacted of therapy was by a phone call, even though the same person contacting would be the last person i spoke to and he knew about the issue with phone calls so that as great. i couldn't bring myself to answer my phone because i would have a panic attack instead GREAT. if you don't answer the calls within a certain amount of time the NHS has to assume that you don't want the therapy anymore, so that was assumed for me.

i went back to my doctor in may and got referred to just one person this time, rather than a chain of a few. i was better this time depression-wise than in february because it's college that makes it bad for me and we were almost at the end of the school year in may so i was happier i guess. anyway she put me on a waiting list for CBT and told me it was a long waiting list but i was like it's okay i'm better in the summer, thinking that i would only have the summer to wait. it's now been 5 months since i joined the waiting list and have heard nothing at all. not even a short email or letter to say that i'm still on the list and they'll get round to me eventually. doesn't really help a depressed person when they get abandoned by people who are literally paid to care and help you. i know the NHS mental health section has very little funding but nobody showed me any volunteer things either and i just feel like there's no point in doing anything to complain because they can't do anything due to funding and there are definitely people who need it more than i do now, even though i really needed it back in february.

with all that in mind, what do you guys think i should do? we don't have the money for private therapy and i can't feel the depression and anxiety getting worse again. also if anyone else has has therapy through the NHS or are still waiting, how long did you wait for?

i know this is really long but i just want some answers and google isn't much help.

thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: the NHS and therapy - November 10th 2014, 05:43 PM

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experiences! I canít imagine how frustrating it must be trying to get help and then to hear nothing.

I have phone anxiety too, so I can relate to how difficult it is answering the calls. Is there anyway of contacting the person to see where you are regarding the waiting list? I havenít had therapy from the NHS but a friend did and he said he waited around 6 months. Since you canít afford private therapy, I would recommend trying to find out whatís going on with the waiting list, and using other services while you wait. The Samaritans provide a form of email support, which I find helpful for dealing with depression. As for the anxiety, you could try to find free CBT exercises and mindfulness online. I found THIS to be helpful when I was waiting for counselling.

Is there anyone you could talk to in college, like a campus nurse or counsellor? They will be able to provide free counselling to you. Don't forget you can always use our HelpLINK and Live Help as well as the forums for help too!

Even though the NHS is facing funding cuts, you deserve to be treated better than this. And try not to compare yourself to others!

Hope things work out for you soon

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread