TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Is this normal? - November 21st 2014, 03:31 AM

I know everyone reacts differently to meds, but I want to see if this is at least something to be concerned about or not.

I've mostly been having a very good experience on Zoloft. But I'm worried things are starting to get weird, but I also don't know if it's because I'm not USED to this side of my personality due to it being so suppressed by my anxiety and mild depression.

Lately I've been VERY tired again. During my time on Zoloft so far, which has been about a month, I've had energy again. Not TONS, but enough to be able to get through the day. Now for the past two or three days, I've been struggling to get out of bed because I am SO TIRED. I've also been having a hard time focusing in class and have been fidgety, and on Monday I was triggered and pissy. But the thing is, I didn't know whether or not it was related to the fact my sleep schedule has been very broken up due to registration for classes on Monday (Registration is at 6:01 AM) and the fact I got my period this week.

But, even though I'm feeling exhausted, I feel as if my mind is in a billion places at once. It's like it's jumping from one thing to another and working quickly. Little things excite me and I just talk A LOT too. Again still a bit of a difficult time focusing on some things. I'm talking fast, although I have talked fast since I was a little kid so that's nothing new.

I dunno, is this whole mind jumping everywhere thing normal? Is it just me not knowing what my real personality is anymore? Or the tired? Or any of it? xD

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Is this normal? - November 21st 2014, 05:37 PM

2 things could be at play here. First off, since you mentioned this seems to have only started after your sleeping schedule got rocked due to registration, etc, it could just be that. I would try to get back to a normal sleeping schedule again and see if that sorts itself out. The other thing is, maybe you're body is already getting used to the medication and it needs to be upped. I'm kind of surprised this is happening already but everyone is different so maybe that's what you need as well. I do hope you figure this out and get back the energy, etc you had when you started taking it! Good luck and as always you know where I am if you need anything!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this normal? - November 21st 2014, 08:59 PM

Yeah, I have a friend who is on meds, not Zoloft though, and she said maybe I'm getting used to it.

I'm still so tired though, blah. But it wasn't so much the energy, it's the my mind being all over the place.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Is this normal? - November 21st 2014, 09:48 PM

I had this issue with the medication I am taking. I have been on my medication about a month as well, more a month and a half. I switched to taking my medication at night to help with getting exhausted during the day and to help with the being all over the place.
Maybe you feel like you are all over the place because you are still new to the medication. It can take four-six weeks for medication to fully work. It also could be you need a doseage increase though personally, I'd try switching the medication to night instead of morning (definitely talk to the person prescribing your medication before doing this).
It is also benefical to be very consistent with the time you take your medicine. Take it at the same time (or in rather close proximity) to when you normally take it. It also can help to have consistent sleep and wake times. I know I end up feeling off if I stay up too late at night or if I wake up to early.
I understand you are a college student (I am as well as you know) but limiting or excluding caffinated drinks, sugary drinks Etc. could help as well as scheduling homework so you can have down time away from your computer and major mental processing before sleep can help. This will not work instantaneously but the more you are persistent and conscious and diligent with doing these things, you should see improvements.
Hope this helps you friend and you can contact me any time (my phone is rarely off/on silent).
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Is this normal? - November 22nd 2014, 12:10 AM

It could be what everyone else is saying about just getting used to the meds and your personality, but it could be something else. A few people on antidepressants have something called mania or hypomania(a lesser form of mania). Mania is when your mood goes up to where you have extreme energy, racing thoughts, and pressured speech. It's worse than just a good mood or being really excited for something, because it can be dangerous. Mainly people with bipolar have mania but other things can cause it like antidepressants, and when they take antidepressants it can cause an manic episode. It's rare though but it can happen, so if you are still acting this way you might want to go to the doctor or your therapist or counselor who prescribed the Zoloft. I'm not a doctor to diagnose you with it, but it is still something worth looking into. I'll put a link to a page that describes it better.http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/10...der/30300.html
I hope that you can figure out what is causing this and get help.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this normal? - November 22nd 2014, 02:22 AM

So far I don't know if it's necessarily BAD, it's just WEIRD. Which is why I'm unsure of if it's bad. I see my APRN again on the 2nd, which is a problem because I'm refilling my prescription Monday because I'm about to be out of pills. If she ups it, I'd hope she'd let me wait until NEXT refill to up it, because my friend takes me to the pharmacy and I can't burden her too much.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Is this normal? - November 22nd 2014, 04:47 PM

I completely understand what you are saying about not understanding if it is bad or just weird. That is how I felt/feel. I know I am getting more exhausted Etc. again and I do not see my doctor until December 5.
I think that your friend will be understanding. If she is willing to take you to the pharmacy than you can ask her if she would mind an extra trip. It is hard for me to grasp as well but try reminding yourself that sometimes depression and anxiety can cause someone to feel as though they are overburdening people more than they actually are. I constantly am worrying that having my friends help me with things/take me places is bothersome so I hesitate to ask (and consequently may ask at the last minute) but in all honesty, they do not mind.
Hope this helps and that the appointment with your APRN goes well.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this normal? - November 22nd 2014, 04:56 PM

Thanks!
I'm wondering what taking the meds at the same time daily does? My APRN never told me to.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is this normal? - November 23rd 2014, 10:03 PM

I've had some medications that have made me so tired I fell asleep standing up. I also have this weird side effect that makes me restless and inattentive. Like I have to keep moving by shaking my leg or something and I can't focus occasionally. I usually just deal with it, but if it's affecting you a lot you might want to talk to your APRN about a different dose of Zoloft or another medication completely.

It's really important to take your medicines at the same time and sometimes at a specific time. For some medications they are absorbed best in the morning on an empty stomach, others with food, and some at night right before bed. For me I have to take my antidepressant in the morning because that's when it works best, but it really depends on the medication. You should talk to your APRN about when you should take it to get the best benefit. Plus, Zoloft might just not work for you and you might need a different medication.

Keep us updated! <3

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this normal? - November 24th 2014, 02:04 AM

Yeah, I have to take my Zoloft in the morning, but my problem is I don't wake up at a consistent time!
And lately it's been hard for me to wake up so it's even LESS consistent!

Closed Thread