TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TeenageGirl5683 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation prozac and other meds..? - November 25th 2014, 06:38 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ive been going to CAMHs and seeing doctors for a while now (about 6 or 7 years) for lots of reasons (depression, anxiety, SH and stuff) but its all getting so much worse and they are still running tests.

I'm 16 and have been diagnosed with clinical depression, social and general anxiety and severe panic disorder.

Different teachers who mentor me have suggesting talking about being put on prozac - even if its just for a little while, to give me a break from everything - but I dont know anybody who's on it/has been on it.

Does it sound like a good idea?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: prozac and other meds..? - November 25th 2014, 07:39 PM

Hey there.

I think it's great you've been receiving treatment for so long! I think medications can definitely help when you feel like you can't handle things with therapy alone. I suggest talking to your doctor about whether there is a more rigorous therapy you can try with a therapist and then talk about whether an antidepressant (like Prozac) would be helpful. It does sound like a good idea to talk to them about this if you are struggling and you may just need some extra support be it medication or therapy.

Please message me if you need to.
Best of luck,
Oliver.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: prozac and other meds..? - November 25th 2014, 10:47 PM

Medications like Prozac are meant to be taken to help the person get to the place they need to be. They aren't meant to be taken permanently, but they do help alleviate symptoms of depression so that you can work on finding ways to cope and get better yourself.
I took Prozac and personally it didn't work for me, however it may work fine for you. If you want to try medication, talk to a psychiatrist, they can help you find ones that will work for you. Just know that it may take awhile to find the right one because sometimes side effects are more problematic than the benefits are helpful.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: prozac and other meds..? - November 26th 2014, 12:53 AM

Hey there,

If you take medication and go to therapy it can be very beneficial. I think you should definitely talk to your doctors about the possibility of going on a medication and see what they have to say. They might decide to put you on prozac or they might decide to put you on another medication altogether. The thing about taking medication is that you don't have to be on it forever. There are some people that have to be on medication for a long time and then there are some people who just have to take the medication for a short period of time to help them get to a better place and once they get to that place they can, slowly, wean off the medication.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: prozac and other meds..? - December 2nd 2014, 12:14 AM

HI There,

I am sorry tat I did not respond to this thread sooner.
It looks like you have gotten some useful replies so far though and I hope my reply is useful too.

I think that mentioning medication as an option to your doctor could be a good idea as well. Also, it can be useful to find out if you have any food intolerances. If you are not able to eat certain contents in food such as gluten (in grains), dairy (in cheese, milk Etc.) than removing those items from your diet can help significantly as long as you are keeping up the appropriate levels of nutrients such as protein, calcium Etc.
Medications can definitely be useful I do not take prozac however I take another antidepressant and I find it very helpful. It may take time to find the right medication and the side effects could be challenging but they should subside fairly quickly.
I hope this helps and that you can get more relief from things soon.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TeenageGirl5683 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Angry Re: prozac and other meds..? - December 2nd 2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
HI There,

I am sorry tat I did not respond to this thread sooner.
It looks like you have gotten some useful replies so far though and I hope my reply is useful too.

I think that mentioning medication as an option to your doctor could be a good idea as well. Also, it can be useful to find out if you have any food intolerances. If you are not able to eat certain contents in food such as gluten (in grains), dairy (in cheese, milk Etc.) than removing those items from your diet can help significantly as long as you are keeping up the appropriate levels of nutrients such as protein, calcium Etc.
Medications can definitely be useful I do not take prozac however I take another antidepressant and I find it very helpful. It may take time to find the right medication and the side effects could be challenging but they should subside fairly quickly.
I hope this helps and that you can get more relief from things soon.
Take care.
The responses have been very helpful however I spoke about this with my CAMHs worker who basically told me I dont need them, despite the depression, anxiety, SH and "dark thoughts" and my mum also said no so...I'm getting no where

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: prozac and other meds..? - December 2nd 2014, 09:47 PM

Tbh I'm not really sure what CAMHs is or how mental health treatment works in the UK, but in my experience primary care physicians tend not to be very knowledgeable about psychiatric medications, whether a patient needs them, and which ones to prescribe if so. Having suffered from clinical depression for several years, I have tried many antidepressants, including prozac. It is important to bear in mind that no SSRI/SNRI-class antidepressants, of which prozac is one, are intended for short-term use. Usually it takes between a few weeks and a couple months to see relief, and total course of treatment can be several months to several years. It is also important to note that some antidepressants are easier to discontinue taking than others. Drugs such as paxil and effexor cause nasty withdrawal symptoms upon cessation, while prozac and wellbutrin, for example, are easier to quit. My recommendation is to speak with a qualified psychiatrist about antidepressants, if at all possible. Best wishes for your recovery

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread