TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - November 26th 2014, 06:11 AM

Hey I'm going to try and make this as short as possible but I'm 17 years old (almost 18) and I was unknowingly discharged from the Child Mental Health Service because I hadn't seen my regular counsellor for 5 weeks (saw a rape counsellor from a different service as I was referred by my CYMHS counselor) and she ended up quitting, so I tried getting in touch with the new worker who was appointed all of my old counsellor's clients and I kept ringing the service and leaving messages eg. "May I please speak with ****, tell **** to call me back on this number ********** etc. " I ended up getting no response because the lady only lasted 2 weeks in the service so I ended up calling up Child youth and mental health (CYMHS) and they told me that they discharged me a week ago because they didn't hear from me They told me I had no choice but to do a self-referral to Adult Mental Heath if i wanted support. I did that since I kind of NEED counselling. I've had a few sessions with the social worker at AMHS and it's completely useless. It's all 'self-driven' and nothing is counselling based... it's all therapy and apparently that's just the way they work though. The lady literally just asks me about my risk and if I tell her a complete suicide plan with a date and everything she's just like 'oh okay'. I have no other option for help but to see this lady because theirs no other workers for AMHS in my town and I can't afford psychologist or counselling sessions that are private. I don't know what to do. I feel helpless. Suggestions anybody?

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/
  Send a message via MSN to Breathe~me  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - November 27th 2014, 05:07 AM

Hey there,

Is there any way you could talk to someone about getting a new counselor? Maybe talk to the person in charge and let them know that this counselor isn't working for you and see if they could set you up with someone new? I know it might seem like this is your only option but if you let someone know that you two are not working you might be able to find a resolution.

Another thing you could consider doing is telling this counselor that you do not feel that she is working for you. That way the two of you could work on figuring out what she can do to help you work on getting the help you deserve from her. She may not realize that her technique is not working but if you were to let her know she might be able to try and change things up a bit and help you two work on getting on better terms and get to a place where things improve.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - November 28th 2014, 05:58 AM

I wish I could do that but even if I change the counselor (which I can't because I live in a remote area) I'll still get the same result. The entire service is self-driven and I'm severely depressed and dependent so it really doesn't help out and more so makes me stressed to attend the appointments because I feel like nobody cares about me and if I tell them that I want to end my life they'll call my parents or child protection and my dad will hurt me (again). I have no options left

~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.

❤❤❤
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Kristina

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - November 30th 2014, 08:23 AM

I think thats a bit messed up. I think they need to help you since your not 18 yet.

I'm going to PM you something.

Blessings,

Army Wife

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - December 2nd 2014, 12:06 AM

Hi There,

I am sorry that the youth services will not help you. This could be because your birthday is close to when you would turn 18 and therefore age out of the system. They may have thought that it would benefit you to start with a counselor you would not have to switch from when you turn 18.
You mentioned your dad would hurt you if your parents found out that you were suicidal. That is very concerning. If your parents are hurting you in any way, you need to tell this counselor or contact child protective. Therapy is helpful but if you are living in a dangerous home situation, it will make the challenge that already exists to heal even more complicated.
Does your counselor know that you do not find this form of therapy useful? if not, you can write her a note explaining it or you can bring this up in your next session. Remember she is human and therefore not perfect herself. She could be using a therapeutic method she believes would be helpful but if you explain it is not and why, maybe she can alter things to a more helpful manner.
It is hard to move on to having to do therapy yourself but the point of therapy is to help you grow, learn and think of skills you can use to cope in a safe environment with a trustworthy person that can help you if you are struggling to follow-through with this process.
It is not easy to confront issues such as this but I believe it would be beneficial to you and the counselor if you are honest with her.
It could help you get more help and help her understand you and maybe even other clients.
Hope this helps and that you can sort this out sooner rather than later.
You can Pm me if you would like someone to talk to
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - December 2nd 2014, 09:56 PM

My counsellor somewhat knows that I don't think the therapy is helpful. She knows I've been disinterested and bored with it and she's heard me say that I find it pointless. The school I just graduated from had called child protective services twice and so had a phone helpline. They don't take me seriously and blame everything on me, they're literally my least favourite people right now. The police lady tells me crap like 'Janine just bruises easily', 'you need to stop threatening suicide because you're never going to actually do it' and when I got raped by a boyfriend of 1 week she told me 'you should be happy you lost your virginity in a bed' and after all that he was still referred to as a 'gentleman' ironic hey...?
Child Protective Services don't care about me and I don't know why. It feels like they're asking me to die because I have no options left. Nobody is protecting me and my mental health isn't going to get any better until it all stops.

~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.

❤❤❤
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LadySerine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ayana

Re: 17 and put into the Adult Mental Health Service? - December 4th 2014, 05:56 AM

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I spent 5 years in a mental health center. It sounds from your description like a really confusing time. First, I would try meditating, then talking to whomever is in charge, saying something like you aren't 18 yet, you shouldn't be here. Or you know that you still need help, and you aren't getting it here. That you'd like to see you other counselor. I hope this helps! Best of luck!

Closed Thread