TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Withdrawal from Adderall - December 5th 2014, 03:23 PM

I take adderall because I have ADHD which is why I am putting this here instead of in another forum.

I stopped taking adderall on Wednesday (the last time I took it was Tuesday) and my system is so messed up. All I want to do is sleep. I literally fell asleep at 8:30 on Wednesday because of it. I was already pretty burned out from the semester ending so that didn't help me..... I went to the gym yesterday and all i wanted to do afterwards was sleep - the usual adrenaline rush that I get typically helps for a few hours but yesterday I couldn't even drive home (20 minutes) before feeling really fatigued. It's been really hard for me to concentrate on the last 2-3 assignments I have to finish (today is the last test of the semester though so it'll be ok now)

I hate having to use adderall because that's how it always is - I am forced to be dependent on it because if I dont take it, even if it's just 1 day that I miss, I'll just be soooooo fatigued. I can sleep for like 9 or 10 hours a night and will STILL feel tired, and if I try to get less sleep (like a normal amount for me is about 7 hours) then I can barely wake up... if I wake up at all... So like the withdrawal sucks, but I can't bring it home with me cause my dad doesn't believe in ADHD and would flip out if he saw the pills. I don't want to get into why an intelligent person managed to raise a child who has ADHD and refuses to acknowledge that it's a problem, it's something I accepted a long time ago and I just can't talk about certain things with my dad if we are going to have any kind of relationship together.

I need to be on the Adderall to focus in school cause otherwise my ability to concentrate and sit down is non-existent. Sometimes I worry I'll be dependent on it for ever because of my inability to focus on things. it makes me feel really shitty that I feel like i have to be dependent on a medication like that and I want to stop using it next semester but I don't know how to compensate. I am basically the best student in my class, I am wicked organized, manage my time better than anyone else I know, my life revolves around doing good at my job and/or school and I am not challenged by the work cause it's easy for me. I am extremely disciplined in getting my work done etc. etc..... If I thought it was just a matter of organizing my time better or something I'd do it, but like I said, I am basically the best student in the class and that's just not good enough when it comes to my ability to focus and settle down.

Does anyone else have any natural ways of dealing with ADHD?

What do I NOT need?

#1) I do not need to change my habits. Like I said, it's not a matter of changing my habits - they're perfect, I'm a bloody poster child of organization, time management, and dedication

#2) Food & Exercise - This semester was hard because I didn't eat as healthy as usual or exercise enough, owing to extremely limited personal time (8 courses, typically had to work 14 hours a day) - I have already taken care of this and have a plan to compensate next semester

What DO I need?

#1) Herbal or dietary supplements, special diets or anything like that which can help? - so far I already cut out dairy, so like usually I do not eat cheese, yogurt and I don't drink milk - I do buy the odd latte and maybe I'll cook/bake something that calls for a little milk, but even that's rare

#2) specific exercises - like i said, exercise a general construct isn't something I care to hear about but say if yoga is supposedly magical or what ever, say so...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Withdrawal from Adderall - December 5th 2014, 06:09 PM

Hi There,

I believe that if it is helping you, you should continue taking it.
It is not recommended by medical professionals to stop taking medication without weaning off of it.
I understand your worry about your dad finding your medication. Could you hide it in your bag? Like leaving in a deep pocket of your backpack? IF your dad does not go into your backpack, then you could take it out in your room to take your medication and put it back right after.
You could also keep it in a drawer like the drawer for your under clothes, basically a place you know your dad will not go into.
If you do not want to depend on it your whole life, that makes sense to me, the idea of needing to rely on medication has been a struggle for me as well. I believe it involves accepting that it is okay to have problems and to need help with them (whether that is through counseling and/or medication). Many people rely on psychiatric medication for support.
Someone I was talking to about my struggle with this told me that it is the same as someone who has a physical illness such as diabetes. People with diabetes take insulin to help them and they told me to try thinking of needing medication for depression as taking care of a medical condition that is physical.
I hope that makes sense and helps in some way.
Take care and keep us updated.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
La Dispute Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anthony

Re: Withdrawal from Adderall - December 5th 2014, 07:45 PM

ask your doctor for clonodine, it helps with withdrawl symptoms for most drugs.
I took adderall when i was around 9 or 10. I got really high off it so my doctor took me off.
I think not continuing to take adderall was a smart choise. the syptoms wont last long.

Closed Thread