TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

feeling bad about feelin good - December 12th 2014, 12:48 PM

Hey.
I have been doing rather well past few days.
I try to be positive and be happy, my overall mood isn't to bad and I'm functioning pretty much like a normal person. I still have moments i think about bad things and really need to stop myself from thinking it but in a rather normal way. Nothing extraordinary. I kinda feel like I did last year around this time.

But somehow I feel bad about it? I don't even understand it myself but i feel bad about feeling good. Or maybe I'm just happy at the surface but not really. But people aren't always happy.

I feel better and it makes me want to cut. I on't get it at all. What's wrong with me?

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: feeling bad about feelin good - December 14th 2014, 01:14 AM

I don't know much about your situation, but I do believe spending time reflecting on what's going on for you emotionally and mentally would be helpful. Processing everything with a mental health professional can be very useful, but you could also increase your self-awareness by doing things on your own, such as journaling and practicing mindfulness (which involves being completely "present" and aware of what you're experiencing).

For example, when you feel "bad" about feeling "good," you may want to start writing about that (not just a post on TeenHelp, but an in-depth exploration that could take place over the course of several hours/days). When you feel "bad," what does that mean? Do you feel as if you don't deserve happiness? If so, then continue to explore and challenge that thought! If someone doesn't believe they deserve to be happy, then they may find ways to take away any chance of being happy... which could involve resorting to self-harm or other counter-productive behaviors. If you start to challenge that thought and find reasons why you DO deserve to be happy, then healthier alternatives can be found.

Feel free to keep posting in this thread - I'm here if you want to continue talking about what's going on. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: feeling bad about feelin good - December 24th 2014, 12:19 AM

Take a look at this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKV0BWSPfOw

It talks about how we all do this. We're happy and things are great, but we're just naturally thinking something is wrong. But there is a way to stop that and to be sure of happiness - and that is to practice gratitude.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: feeling bad about feelin good - December 24th 2014, 01:02 PM

Hi There,
I am sory I did not reply tot his thread sooner. Hopefully I can help some.
I know what you mean when you say this because recently, I have made changes in my life that were difficult to make such as deciding to take medication for depression and I now see a part of myself that I am not at all used to and cannot recollect being used to. I am more alert, able to function without falling asleep constantly and I am not thinking as negatively/self-distructively as I was before. Sure, those thoughts do still exist but they do not interfere with my life as much as they used to. I'm not saying I am perfectly happy because I do not believe anyone is ever happy constantly but I do feel relief from what was gripping me and I do tend to question my happiness (ie. do I deserve it/is it real/possible for me to feel this way Etc.)
I believe the idea of journalling could help you tremendously because you could evaluate all of your emotions surrounding why you feel bad. For instance, is it because you have always been told that you are not deserving of happiness/people have shown you that you do not deserve it, you could feel this way because you believe other deserve happiness and cannot see why you do Etc.
What ever the answer is/whatever you find through self-evaluation is causing you to feel bad know that you are not alone and that you can begin to not feel bad about this.
Talking to a mental health professional could be extremely beneficial and if you would like to, you can research local therapists/counselors in your area. Focusing on cognitive therapies may help you because this seems to be rooted in your thoughts of yourself, experiences and possibly several other areas. Cognitive therapies could help you process why you are thinking how you think and help you create habits that can be helpful with changing your patterns of thinking (such as mindful thinking as Robin mentioned).
Hope this helps and that you have a nice Christmas/New Year's.
You can PM me if you would like someone to talk to; I am always up for a chat/giving encouragement or whatever.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: feeling bad about feelin good - December 27th 2014, 11:08 AM

Wow thank you guys.
I'm glad you're doing better Kakorrhaphiophobia.
And with some time and recognising what I was doing the problem lessened greatly.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

Closed Thread