TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Quiet BPD - December 24th 2014, 03:30 PM

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge of quiet borderline personality disorder? (if you don't know what it is this explains it a bit http://www.borderline-personality-di...et-borderline/ )

I recently came across the term after one of my friends reblogged an article on tumblr so I did some reading up about it and some of the characteristics seem familiar and similar to what i feel sometimes.

I've never been good at coping with feelings and often feel like I feel emotions more intensely than others but lately it's been getting worse. The slightest disappointment could have me in tears for hours and upset the rest of my day, the other day I was supposed to meet with a friend but she was sick and couldn't make it and I got extremely sad and cried for over an hour. Lately I've been turning to drugs/alcohol/spending my money recklessly just to cheer myself up as well which probably isn't doing me any favours.

Obviously none of you are doctors and just reading articles on the internet isn't a reliable way to diagnose myself but I guess I just wanted a place to ask/vent about it.

I have SAD which could be causing these feelings I guess but if I still feel like this after January (which is usually when my SAD symptoms start to fade) then I'll be seeing my doctor and talking about how I've been feeling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Quiet BPD - December 24th 2014, 04:18 PM

Hi Cara,
I can definitely relate. In fact I've always related pretty much to BPD without knowing about quiet BPD because the criteria is the same. I haven't been diagnosed and not looking for one. I cant really tell if it is BPD or someyjing else.
But if you suspect you have that and would like an evaluation then you can see a professional about it. Maybe mention the introverted thing and say it manifests in you internally instead but it still happens.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Quiet BPD - December 25th 2014, 04:57 PM

Hey Cara!

I was diagnosed with BPD some 2 years ago. I am still figuring out what it means for me but yes, I do experience intense emotions. A lot of the times, the people around me feel like they are walking on eggshells-any word or remark can set off a breakdown which can last for a day or two at times. It gets better when there are lesser stress factors in my life, but peaks during stress situations.

So, if you'd like to talk about it whether it is to vent or ask questions, you are free to message me anytime.

Take care.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Quiet BPD - December 28th 2014, 11:06 PM

I would like to see my doctor about how I've been feeling lately since it seems to be getting worse but I'm not really sure what to say.

If I walk in and say "Oh, I think I have BPD" then I worry they won't take me seriously or they'll just think I read something on the internet and I'm overreacting.

How should I go about trying to explain to my doctor how I feel? I'm not very good with words.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Quiet BPD - January 6th 2015, 06:19 PM

Hey there,

I am not very good with words either. At times, it takes me years to put my feelings into words. Personally, I just let them know at the start of the session that I am not good with words but I'll try to express how I feel. I mostly print out blogs of other people which capture my emotions and even write down lyrics of songs. You could try doing the same- write down the descriptions that you relate with.

I can understand how you feel about saying that you think that you have BPD. You could move backwards, explain the symptoms that you relate with and then mention BPD. For example you could say that you feel empty a lot of the time, feel like your emotions go up and down very quickly, or that you resort to unhealthy means to cope with your life (that is, if you feel these things). And then follow this by saying that you read up about BPD and that is the description of your feelings right now.You could start with the third paragraph from the post that you've made and explain how it is affecting your life negatively-

Quote:
I've never been good at coping with feelings and often feel like I feel emotions more intensely than others but lately it's been getting worse. The slightest disappointment could have me in tears for hours and upset the rest of my day, the other day I was supposed to meet with a friend but she was sick and couldn't make it and I got extremely sad and cried for over an hour. Lately I've been turning to drugs/alcohol/spending my money recklessly just to cheer myself up as well which probably isn't doing me any favours.
You could even mention your concerns regarding mentioning BPD or any disorder in general. They usually try to make you feel comfortable in such situations.

I hope that this helps a bit.
All the best!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread