TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Terrible memory - December 24th 2014, 09:51 PM

I have terrible memory, and terrible concentration. I'm constantly forgetting things (except for a few snippets here and there that never go away and comprise most of what I do remember) and like I forget things that I was literally just told. Every once in a while I'll just be like, "Where the hell am I?" and just kinda be somewhere. I usually can't remember what I was doing earlier in the day or the day before. I also (most of the time) can't remember peoples names, faces or what they look like.
Can anybody think of an explanation for this?
And don't jump to conclusions, but I took an online Alzheimer's test and failed. But that's hardly official, its online.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Terrible memory - December 25th 2014, 05:06 AM

I would definitely talk to a doctor about this. It's possible that you have Short Term Memory Loss, but they can run tests, etc to see what is going on along with finding a way to help you deal with it. I hope I've helped some!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Terrible memory - December 27th 2014, 11:58 AM

Hey Robert,

Sorry to hear what you are going through right now. Becoming forgetful, especially what you have described, can be quite scary. But once the cause is found, there will be ways of managing your forgetfulness better.

There could be many causes for forgetfulness. It could be lack of certain vitamins in your diet, depression, dissociation, some personality disorders, learning difficulties, head injuries and issues with the brain itself.

As with all online tests, use with caution. Some online Alzheimerís tests can be quite generic as they are intended for older users where Alzheimerís is a risk, so they include general questions on forgetfulness. The real Alzheimerís test used to diagnose, is very different. Also, it may be of some comfort for you to know that Alzheimerís in under 30ís is quite rare.

I recommend you go to your doctor and describe the forgetfulness you have experiencing. They may refer you to a hospital to run scans, such as a CT scan, to check that the brain itself is ok. They may also want a blood sample, to rule out any physical reasons for your forgetfulness. If these things come back clear, you may get referred to a mental health clinic/psychiatrist.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Terrible memory - December 28th 2014, 01:01 AM

Don't worry, its all good. It doesn't bother me, because I used to focus on the past way too much anyway. Ignorance is bliss, I think, but I'm just worried about forgetting to pay bills and stuff.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread