TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Emotionally numb - February 6th 2015, 02:19 AM

Lately I've been pretty depressed, which is unusual because I tend to stay more on the manic side of BP. Its been almost two months. No drive or motivation to do anything, nothing feels important. I'm just floating through life in a fog. I don't want to see any of my friends which is difficult because we all live in the same dorm. Sometimes I feel like I just want to cry, but I can't.
I'm starting to become concerned this isn't "my normal." I'm curious if it has to do with winter. As prior to this year I lived were there wasn't much change in the seasons. I just feel like I'm losing my grip on life. I'm just sliding farther away from living a relatively regular life. I don't seem to notice the mood changes as much, though they are still happening. I was supposed to finally see a psychiatrist for the first time in almost a year, but a snow storm has been pushing it back. Hopefully I will go in soon. Thanks for letting me rant.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Re: Emotionally numb - February 6th 2015, 04:45 AM

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way. As someone who can speak from experience of this, I'd say maybe talk to your doctor. It could be that your medicine have stopped working properly, or that medicine needs added or taken away. The only way you'll know is if you talk to them. I know how bad Bipolar can be seeing as I was diagnosed with it a little over maybe 8 months ago. I've had periods where I've just felt numb and lost interest in anything and everything. It can sometimes be related to seasons, but at the same time if this hasn't happened before you may need to check in with the doctor just to make sure things are okay. If you ever need to talk to someone who can relate to having Bipolar I'm always here okay? stay strong<3

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Emotionally numb - February 6th 2015, 05:07 AM

Hi Sarah,

If you can, try talking to your psychiatrist or doctor. I agree that this could be related to any medication you are taking. Also, if you are experiencing any stressful circumstances at the moment that could affect the symptoms of your bipolar I am thinking (I'm not a mental health professional).
You can also write a journal of what you are experiencing and what events happened before you feel empty or other emotins to see if anything triggers the episode. Then you can show this to yoru doctor or psychiatrist so they can have a better understanding.
Hope this helps and that things begin to improve for you soon.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotionally numb - February 11th 2015, 05:31 AM

Hey there,

Firstly, I want to say that I am not a professional. There could be a lot of different reasons that you are experiencing this. Winter can be known to have an effect on depression. I know I tend to get more depressed around this time of year and school and everything is more of a struggle. If you are dealing with stressful circumstances that could be contributing to your moods as well. It might help if you try and keep a journal of your day to day life to help and document your moods and what is triggering them. I know I have done this in the past and it has helped me quite a bit.

Something that was suggested to me by my psychologist was getting this light that mimics daylight. I don't know what it is called any longer but it is supposed to help people who struggle with depression. You sit under it for something like 30 minutes every day and it is supposed to help. I think you could probably google it and find it. I haven't tried it yet and don't know if I will but it might be something worth trying. I mean, it can't hurt. It was just one suggestion of many I have had suggested to me.

I hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Emotionally numb - February 13th 2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks guys for the support! I went to see a new psychiatrist yesterday, and it was terrible. I was literally crying as I left. The whole time he just bombarded me with irrelevant questions like why haven't you gone to Europe and visited Martin Luther's grave? I felt like I was being interrogated and had done something wrong. He told me that I'm going to get fat and I need to walk 18,000 steps a day, and I can't have sugar etc. he talked to me as if I am stupid and don't understand the basic principles of health. Oh and that my volleyball class is stupid and I shouldn't go to it. So I'm never going back... so I have to wait ANOTHER MONTH till my insurance comes through and I can find someone all the way in Lincoln!!!! So done.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Emotionally numb - February 13th 2015, 06:35 PM

Hi Sarah,

I am sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. Would it be possible for you to report him? That sounds very unprofessional and very degrading.

Hopefully when your insurance comes in you can find someone that is helpful, willing to listen and that takes you seriously.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread