TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Returning Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dani

Unhappy Terrified and having panic attacks because I have to have wisdom teeth removed - February 16th 2015, 07:06 AM

I just found out I have to get my wisdom teeth removed. I am so scared! They have to put me to sleep to do the procedure and im deathly afraid of anesthesia. Being put under is one of my greatest fears. My appointment is still several weeks away but ive been on the verge of a panic attack ever since I found out. I cant calm down knowing im being forced to live through this fear. Im sooo scared and I don't know how to handle this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Terrified and having panic attacks because I have to have wisdom teeth removed - February 16th 2015, 02:27 PM

Hey Dani!

I'm sorry that you're going through all this. I've had teeth removed before, so I kind of get you.

You need to be able to trust your dentist and his medical expertise. Nothing bad is going to happen you when they put you to sleep! Rather, it's better as you will not have to experience the excrutiating pain that comes when one has their wisdom teeth removed without any pain medication whatsoever. The reason they need to put you to sleep is because the pain that comes with wisdom teeth is more than others, so while the others usually only involve some anesthesia, they put patients under so that they won't have to experience the horrid pain. When the thought of being put under comes to mind, try breathing deeply a couple of times. Your dentist is ok to be trusted, and if you're really afraid, have a family member go with you to your appointment!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything and I hope this helped somewhat,

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Terrified and having panic attacks because I have to have wisdom teeth removed - February 16th 2015, 07:13 PM

Hey there,

I have the same fear too. But it's highly unlikely that anything bad will happen. An anaesthetist will be there checking your stats making sure that you are ok when you are asleep.

It might help you to do some deep breathing exercises, such as a deep breathe in for 3 seconds and out for 3 seconds, and do this for 1 minute or until you calm down. You can do this anytime you find yourself getting anxious/having a panic attack thinking about it, and on the day of the procedure. You can also try meditation, or yoga to relax yourself.

You can always talk to your dentist beforehand and express any worries or fears you might, who will be able to re-assure you. I think that talking about things can definitely help get rid of the anxiety.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Terrified and having panic attacks because I have to have wisdom teeth removed - February 16th 2015, 07:29 PM

Hi Dani,

Like it's been said, it's better to be put under than go through the pain of having your teeth remove. If it's terrifying you to this extent, you can practice being under at home before you get it done. Although I suggest that you have a parent with you when you do it. One thing that helps for me is creative visualization. Basically, finding my safe space, where I feel completely secure and happy without any worry. My mum leads me through closing my eyes, breathing deep and picturing me lying on the beach on a warm summer day or a garden with fairies. If you find a place that makes you calm and happy, use that place to calm you down.

No one is going to do anything to you that they shouldn't do when you're under. If you're scared, tell the dentist and ask if you can be led through what they are going to do so that you know exactly what is going to happen once you're under. And request a review of what happened once you're awake again. I can't imagine what you must be going through. And I am sorry to know that you are. The procedure will go perfectly and you will be perfectly fine. Even better once the wisdom teeth are gone.

It will all be well. As scary as it seems, we make things even scarier in our heads because we always imagine the worst that can happen. Instead, could you possibly try and imagine all the good things that can happen? That there will be no complication, that it won't take more than the time necessary to get them out as quickly as possible? That you will be perfectly alright?
Do you think that would be helpful?

Hope you have a quick recovery! Keep us posted.
Take care x

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Terrified and having panic attacks because I have to have wisdom teeth removed - February 17th 2015, 06:55 PM

Hi,

I know that getting anesthesia can seem scary however it is a rather harmless and useful process. Your doctors and the anesthesiologist are trained to cope if anything does go wrong (highly unlikely).
I am getting my wisdom teeth removed on Monday actually and while I am nervous, I know that I would rather have the anesthesia than not have it and feel the pain/hear what is going on.
Having the dentist explain the process to you could be helpful.
Try practice thinking of your calm place or something that makes you feel safe. When you are about to be given the anesthesia think of your calm place and you should be fine; the time between when the anesthesia is given to you and when it works is rather quick (or it has been in my experience) and the procedure will be finished quickly too.
If you are still worried, you can call the dentist office and ask them if they have any suggestions about how you can prepare/what they can do in the office to help lessen your anxiety in relation to anesthesia.
I am rather confident in saying that many people fear the dentist and being put to sleep for surgery however these fears are usually based on the unknown and the rare likelihood of problems will occur.
Hopefully this is helpful and you can PM me at any time.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread