TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
plasticsaint Offline
official dreamer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: George

Question what is going on up there? - February 27th 2015, 01:21 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I got into college, my therapy's been pretty successful, I've been getting better about taking tests and giving presentations and everything was going really well. Until it wasn't. Last Friday I had to take five tests and the anxiety was so big I ended up scratching open my neck, its starting to heal but it still hurts something awful. My general anxiety when talking to people I don't really know or new people is bad again and whenever I try to sleep in the dark alone I feel really... I don't know, claustrophobic almost. I've been stressed lately but a lot of that should have gotten better since I got into the college I was hoping for. Instead its some how worse. I have PTSD but I've been in the end stage of therapy. How ever lately flashbacks and nightmares have been acting up again. I've spoken to my therapist about this buy she says that I seem more mature and more emotionally stable so I don't get it. I do emdr therapy and I oy have two sessions left. My therapist says I'll probably always have nightmares and sleeping trouble but I don't understand this sudden fear of the dark or the aggressive form of anxiety when testing. Anyone who has any clue why this is suddenly happening please explain and if you have any tips on dealing with it so that I don't end up scratching myself open and that I can just sleep on my own in the dark again like a normal adult, they are also welcome.

Last edited by Eternal; February 28th 2015 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added trigger prefix.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: what is going on up there? - February 28th 2015, 07:15 AM

Do you tend to get more flash backs at night? That could explain why you feel afraid when the lights are out. In the meantime, I'd recommend using a night light. You can get one that's fairly dim so it's not bothersome when trying to sleep, but also keeps it from being pitch black. It might help you sleep better.
Test anxiety is really common, so remember that you aren't alone. I get really bad test anxiety myself! The best thing to do is to start studying a week early. Aim for at least an hour a night. The more prepared you feel when you sit down to take the test, the less anxious you'll feel. Before you begin, I also recommend closing your eyes and taking some deep breaths to center yourself. Pausing throughout the test to do this could help even your breathing and heart rate and help you feel calmer.
Also remember that school is meant to prepare you. If you fail a test, it doesn't mean anything other than that you just need to change your study habits. It doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you can't get the career you want. School makes grades to be a huge deal, but you should try and look at them instead as indicators of your understanding.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread