TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chronic_spoonie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,080, Level: 10 Points: 5,080, Level: 10 Points: 5,080, Level: 10

Physical symptoms caused by anxiety? - March 7th 2015, 06:46 AM

So I have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and OCD. I am on medication and I now experience little to no symptoms of any of them. I also have undiagnosed chronic pain and fatigue which my doctors (gp and psychiatrist) are convinced is due to anxiety. Now I know mental health problems can cause physical symptoms but just because they've done quite a few tests doesn't mean it's not physical. Plus, from what I know of physical symptoms of anxiety and depression, the usually occur/occur more when anxiety/depression is bad, which is not the case for me. My physical symptoms are: headaches and migraines, abdominal pain, fatigue, diarrhoea (tmi sorry), Dizzyness, muscle pain, unsatisfying sleep, allodynia (nerve pain-clothes hurt as does light touch etc), sensitivity to light and temperature changes, chest pain, vision blacking out about standing/mild exhertion, nausea and umm there are more but those are all I can think of off the top of my head lol. The tests I've had are multiple blood tests, stool test, fructose intolerance, lactose intolerance, MRI of brain (results not back yet) and ECG (results not back yet) and an ultrasound (which hurt like HELL) all of which were clear except for the MRI and ECG. I'm just sick of not knowing what's up and it being constantly passed of as 'all in my head'. I mean I'm in year 11 and I've had to drop maths methods, which kinda limits my uni options, and after I overexert myself I can't stand up the next day without passing out. I can't shower, and my baths are limited to once a week as they take up all my energy...sorry this kinda turned into a rant :/

Has anyone else experienced something like this that was all due to anxiety/depression? Even when it seemed to have no correlation to the appearance of symptoms of those mental disorders, which are seemingly all but gone? Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Physical symptoms caused by anxiety? - March 9th 2015, 04:55 PM

Hi there,

I have had a few of those symptoms in relation to depression and anxiety. In particular, headaches, abdominal pain, tiredness, diarrhoea, and nausea. I’ve sometimes had changes in vision and chest pain when in the middle of a panic attack. However, if you are on medication, I’m not sure why these symptoms would be occurring unless they are side effects of the medication or are related to something else. I’m not a professional, so I can’t diagnose you, but I’m wondering if it may be a bit like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? My friend knows someone who has it and it just occurred to me that it sounded a bit similar, such as exerting yourself and then not being able to function properly the day after.

Wait for the results of the MRI and ECG and keep telling your doctors about the symptoms to hopefully get a diagnosis and a good treatment plan.

As for maths, is there a way you can catch up? Or could you sit your exams a year later? I’m sure you will be able to work something out with your teachers; you will be able to get to university, if that’s what you want to do!

Take care

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SherlandMolly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,290, Level: 11 Points: 6,290, Level: 11 Points: 6,290, Level: 11

Re: Physical symptoms caused by anxiety? - March 11th 2015, 09:56 AM

A few of those as mentioned by the person above are extremely common with anxiety. Could your medications also be to blame? I know mine make me very nauseous. I'm sure the doctors will find what they're liking for eventually, I get physical pain from my mental health a lot. If it is from that you're not alone! Here to talk if you need
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
chronic_spoonie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,080, Level: 10 Points: 5,080, Level: 10 Points: 5,080, Level: 10

Re: Physical symptoms caused by anxiety? - March 18th 2015, 08:46 AM

Thank you for your replies guys! I was just diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome today so it was something else. Getting some ways to help it too. I'm really excited to finally have a diagnosis!
Closed Thread