TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Average Joe

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17

Worried about school? - June 1st 2015, 12:02 AM

Since I have depression and bipolar both can happen at random times and get worst when I'm stressed. I start school for CNA June 8th. I'm so scared I might fail my 6 week course or get really stressed out and I think of really harming myself. The last time it happened I was so down and so upset and all I could think was killing myself or SH myself. It got pretty bad and I was so stressed because of my job.

I'm scared of that happening again and I'm not sure how to come down from this stress or fears I have.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Worried about school? - June 1st 2015, 01:51 AM

Hey there Kate,

It sounds difficult to deal with school when your mental health issues flare up. Having concern about how your mental health might impact your grades is common and I do understand it.

By any chance have you spoke to an adviser at school about this? Many universities have an office of disabilities and that includes mental illnesses and conditions. Maybe you can check out that office and speak to a counselor there. That way you have accommodations in place and the support you need.

Support is also really important- from family, friends and professionals. You might need a professional to write a letter of documentation for you to get accommodations. But even after that, it may help to continue seeing someone.

Lastly, plan ahead early. Go to the writing centers, tutors and office hours once you find you're having difficulty keeping up. I know it's hard not to procrastinate but doing things early makes things much easier. Sometimes professors can help you out a great deal if you're stuck on the lessons or need extra help with the materials.
Study groups can also be really helpful. I've formed a few at university and it helped all of us get much better grades because we had a collective effort.
Another thing to keep in mind is to maybe keep track of when your episodes might come up. I know it is probably hard to predict, but if you notice patterns then keep note of it and then you can have a plan put in place ahead of time.

Remember that urges for SH are okay to have, but you don't have to act upon them. Recognize them for what it is and see what alternatives you can use instead for coping.

You can do this! I wish the best of luck.
Closed Thread