TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Cookies Offline
Geek and proud
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emma

Points: 5,787, Level: 11 Points: 5,787, Level: 11 Points: 5,787, Level: 11

Unhappy controlling anxiety - September 10th 2015, 02:06 AM

Recently my anxiety has gotten very bad. Two nights ago I had my worst panic attack ever. My heart was racing, I was trembling, it was hard to breath and my stomach felt like it was in my throat. I have had 5 including that one in the last 2 days alone and even when I'm not having one my stomach still feels like it is in my throat and I feel terrified. The worst part is that I can't even figure out what's causing them. I think part of it might be general terror of people I know but that can't be the only thing. I tell myself there is nothing to be worried about and I know that there isn't but no logic or reasoning that I can tell myself that helps. There are only a few people who even know about my anxiety and depression. One is my sister who I don't really feel entirely comfortable approaching and 2 others are more her friends than mine. The last one is someone who I don't really know that well but feel oddly comfortable talking to her but she is just in one of my classes. Anyway my question is how do I calm myself down during an anxiety attack and please don't say breathing because trust me I've tried and that is about the only answer google gives you. It's like I'm in a glass tank in a zoo. I watch people go by happy and confident. I perform for them to make them happy pretending I'm happy, too scared to mess up hoping they will like me. I'm stuck behind the glass though, unable to be like them. Unable to feel truly happy. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

"The quickest path between two points may be a straight line but it is by no means the most interesting."-The Doctor

Me- Do you ever feel like you about to crash into a sign?
Friend- What?
Me- I mean mentally, emotionally and physically, because I do right now.
Friend- No
Me- It's a very specific feeling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: controlling anxiety - September 12th 2015, 06:35 AM

Hey Emma,

It is great that you are reaching out for help with this. The sooner you can receive appropriate support the better.
It may be helpful for you to pay close attention to your daily routine and what different situations occur around when you start to feel anxious. Keeping a journal of when you start to feel anxious, what is going on at that time, during a panic attack and afterward . Having a journal will allow you to track these moments over time and they would be a great record to show your doctor or a counselor/therapist if you decide to seek counseling for this.
Another thing that may be helpful is trying grounding techniques such as things that require you to engage all of your senses. Try looking for three different items in the room you are in, touching threee things, recognizing any smells around you and noticing any sounds as well (ie. people talking, typing, a teacher writing on a white board or chalk board.
I kno wthis is not much of a reply but I hope it helps some. Also do not hesitate to talk to a school counselor or ask your parents about getting a counselor. There are forms of therapy that work well for treating anxiety and medications can help as well if needed.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,391, Level: 10 Points: 5,391, Level: 10 Points: 5,391, Level: 10

Re: controlling anxiety - September 13th 2015, 05:49 AM

Hey,
I'm sorry that you have been going though this. I have extremely bad anxiety too, and breathing teniques don't work for me either. When I have panic attacks or just feel generly anxieous I try to focus on somting else. If i can I'll try to read, or do math or logic problems(I'm a geek, or something else that quiets my mind. For me listening to music helps me the most. I completly get what you mean my the glss box in a zoo. and i've found that I do it too, but the one time I got help was accualy when I let them see what was going on. I get that it might be hard to go to an adult, but if you do your life will majorly improve. I can tell you from experience that if you wait untill it gets very bad, it can be impossible to tell anyone. I recomend telling an adult you trust, and more importantly can get you the help that you deserve. I hope that this has helped a little.

IM me anytime,
Clover
Closed Thread