TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

People who suffer with ADHD do you take medication how does it work has it helped you? - November 19th 2015, 10:40 PM

I have ADHD I remember getting diagnosed with it when I was a lot a young as a child. Im now 19 and it effects my anger I get really angry and start swearing at people treating to punch people and stuff it's like it takes over my body and I flip out over the most stupid things for example if mum brought me chicken nuggets instead of fish. (note this never happened but it's a good example)

I struggle to understand things although I'm not sure if that's due to my learning disability dyslexia or not. I can't concentrate on things like college work unless I'm interested in it. I hate doing normal work and will get bored and wont care or concentrate but if you show me an iPhone and ask me to tell you about it or fix it for you then I would concentrate then it just doesn't make sense. I never sit still either i'm always walking about I'm not going to go through every single symptom because there no point. My question is that i got kicked out of my college and failed high school due to not being able to complete my work I'm wondering do you think ADHD would of been able to help me understand the work better then I did? Would it of helped me would I of failed anyway I know no one can answer this but how does your medication help you? What is your ADHD like?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
strangemind11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,563, Level: 10 Points: 4,563, Level: 10 Points: 4,563, Level: 10

Re: People who suffer with ADHD do you take medication how does it work has it helped you? - November 20th 2015, 02:40 AM

hey, im not gonna give you a solid reply because i dont have one but i figure i should give you what little knowledge i have...ive had concentration problems for years and a buddy of mine had adhd but had a mild strand of meds and i asked him for one so i could see if theyd help. (i only took one the one time) and i didnt feel any different, first period in highschool went by as it usually does, i had second period off, then after third period my most boring class, i noticed at the end of the period i had copied all of the notes and i wasnt insanely bored. that was all that i noticed. if you take the meds and you try to concentrate on your work they can help but if you just take them and expect magic, it wont work like that. you need to try your best and they can help. i dont know if this made much sense but thats my first hand experiance.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11

Re: People who suffer with ADHD do you take medication how does it work has it helped you? - November 21st 2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangemind11 View Post
ive had concentration problems for years and a buddy of mine had adhd but had a mild strand of meds and i asked him for one so i could see if theyd help. (i only took one the one time) and i didnt feel any different, first period in highschool went by as it usually does, i had second period off, then after third period my most boring class, i noticed at the end of the period i had copied all of the notes and i wasnt insanely bored.
You really shouldn't take medication prescribed for someone else. It's like the first rule of meds.

Also, one tablet would not have been enough to have a therapeutic (positive) effect on you. So your experience in class was a result of your efforts to concentrate and not the medication.

Be kind to yourself.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: People who suffer with ADHD do you take medication how does it work has it helped you? - November 23rd 2015, 12:33 AM

Hey,

I've been taking Concerta for the last three years and it's the medication that works best for me. I tried other medications (Adderall, Vyvanse, Ritalin and Strattera) but none worked as well as Concerta. I had horrid side effects on some of the other medications and we couldn't get the correct dosage/combinations. Only downside with Concerta is that if I take it too late, I won't be able to sleep.

When I was in high school, my friends could tell if I forgot to take it (or if I took it late and it wasn't working yet) or if I was wearing off by the way I talked/moved my hands and/or feet.

I know when my medication wears off because I feel the "fog" come in and it's really hard to think straight/focus. Studying or doing homework after my medication has worn off is pretty pointless because I won't retain much and have to edit a great deal afterwards. I find that caffeine helps me focus as well so if I feel the medicine wearing off and know I still need to focus, I will either take a caffeine pill or have sometime with caffeine. That doesn't work with everyone but it seems to help (not as well as my medication but enough to focus a bit better than if I didn't.)

It's hard to explain what it's like for me but I guess my ADHD is like trying to watch multiple tv programs at the same time and being unable to tune all but one out. When I take my medication, it's like a remote that let's me turn off or "mute" all but one thing. When I was diagnosed it was like everything "clicked" for me. I mean, my struggles made more sense? I thought I was stupid because my head felt foggy and I couldn't focus for very long or I would hyperfocus on something or I would be writing and I would be writing down full sentences in my head but I would be skipping words on the actual paper. Words would fly around my head and move a million times a minute. I would struggle to sit still and constantly fidget/tap things, etc. I still do that when I'm medicated but I'm more "aware" per say and am better at controlling my fidgeting and such so it's not annoying/ distracting if that makes sense.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
XXCassXX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassidy

Points: 5,255, Level: 10 Points: 5,255, Level: 10 Points: 5,255, Level: 10

Re: People who suffer with ADHD do you take medication how does it work has it helped you? - November 23rd 2015, 02:00 AM

I 've taken Strattera*since I was in 5th grade and I'm now a senior. If I don't take my medicine it's very obvious. I get stuck on like one thing all day and get mad super easily. I can't concentrate on anything and I can't sit still. I'm in my own world and don't care what anyone says.

Keep listening to music, cause it gets you through everything, I promise.
- Mitch Lucker
Closed Thread