TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Unhappy Disability. - November 13th 2016, 09:18 PM

Okay, so lately I've had quite a few people talk to me about the option to file for disability because of my mental health issues. I never wanted things to get this far. I wanted to go through a treatment plan, and get better. I wanted to be able to overcome this, and to move on with my life, but clearly, things had their own way of going about it.

I'm embarrassed to say the least, that people are even mentioning this. I don't know what to do, or how to handle something like this. Is this really my last option? I'm just so down from this, and I can't seem to pick myself back up.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Disability. - November 13th 2016, 09:46 PM

Hey there

I know what you mean, I've recently considered looking into applying myself and am wrestling with the same issues. I never in a million years imagined having to do it. I was earning a masters degree, grew up with dreams of being a doctor, and here I am considering giving up on all of that and admitting that I'm just not as capable as everyone else while my family strongly disapproves.

I think you do what you have to do to get by, and if that means applying for disability, it's worth a shot. It doesn't have to be a permanent thing, you may be able to eventually come off of it. Also, depending on what type of benefits you receive, you can still work some if you're able to. I know there's a stigma I think because the expectation is that everyone has to "pull it together" and "pull their own weight" and it's "lazy", it's not and if the people who say those things dealt with what you're dealing with, they'd know that. The good news is that it isn't about them. As great as it would be for society to be accepting of this, they don't have to approve for you to do it. You do what you have to do and if others want to judge you then leave them to it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: Disability. - November 13th 2016, 09:50 PM

Hey there,
A few people mentioned this to me and I felt similar to you. The thing to consider is that disability can be short or long term. You may be able to get disability income until you are in a better place mentally by working through things in treatment.
Disability also may allow you to work part time, or open a business (not sure exactly) but just because you get disability, doesn't mean youre doomed to live a passive unfulfilling life.
As for treatment there's inpatient, and outpatient and residency. With outpatient there's 1x a week, there's also intensive outpatient and there's partial hospitalization.
You can also try working with accommodations. I am not sure how it works with a job, but with a university, there's an office that reviews each case and details a letter of what accommodations look like so professors know. With jobs I think you can speak to the human resources department. They would keep your disability confidential while still enduring you have accommodations met.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Disability. - November 13th 2016, 10:03 PM

Disability is always an option and it doesn't make you a bad person for going on it. The amount of time you are on disability will depend on how your mental health goes. Also, if you get on disability it will open you up to some programs to look for work when you are ready.

The thing to remember though is that the process of getting on disability takes time. You are likely to be denied the first time and then you will have to continue to appeal it. Some people even end up getting lawyers. It's relatively hard to get approved for disability but it's not impossible. But, in general it takes about two years to get approved.

Have you considered looking into accommodations at your job? They have to reasonably accommodate you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Disability. - November 16th 2016, 01:34 AM

I don't work at all. I've tried, but always end up having to leave because of anxiety attacks. I'm currently just a stay at home Mom, but sometimes we struggle with money a little, and that's when it was brought up that I should apply. Thanks for the advice everyone.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Disability. - November 16th 2016, 10:16 PM

Hi

I have complex mental health problems for a goo 13 years. I am now on PIP which is a benefit for people with disabilities. It helps me so much at the moment and it's nothing to be ashamed about. Its there to help people like yourself. It wouldn't be put in place if it wasn't going to or suppose to help people struggling.

Talk to people about it, even if it's us. Remember if you are not entitled to it, you won't get it. If you are entitled you will and that's okay because you are eligible for it

Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Disability. - November 18th 2016, 02:03 PM

Thanks.

Closed Thread