TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20

OCD, derma/trichotillomania, serious anxiety issues? - December 16th 2016, 11:17 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi. I don't know what to think of this so I apologize if anything is unclear.
I have pretty bad anxiety. It's a constant social/general/physical anxiety (physical meaning my body is restless even when my mind is not) complete with panic attacks as well. I wonder if these symptoms are simply part of my anxiety disorder that aren't being addressed or if I have something more. Forgive me for the self-diagnosing melodrama.

-Obsessive thoughts of harm coming to me (car accident, fire, sudden health issues [aneurysm rupturing], rape)
-Constant fidgeting (moving my foot in a fixed pattern, often subconsciously, 24/7; picking as if there are hangnails on my thumb)
-Unacceptable urges (vocalizing [shouting, screaming, saying something random], violent and/or sexual [slapping, pushing, verbally attacking someone; touching or kissing someone]) EDIT: I have NEVER acted on these. They're thoughts and impulses that pass through my head.
-Obsessive thoughts in general (replaying memories, visualizing real and fictitious scenarios 24/7)
-Picking at: scabs or blemishes until there is significant bleeding; tonsil stones despite my tonsils being very swollen and painful from illness (cannot NOT do it; obsessive thoughts and the urge to get rid of something that shouldn't be there)
-Urges to pull hair out

Any thoughts are welcome. I have a therapist and psychiatrist and will be speaking to them about this.

Last edited by nothereanymore; December 17th 2016 at 04:55 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: OCD, derma/trichotillomania, serious anxiety issues? - December 18th 2016, 12:00 PM

You're not being melodramatic at all. It's understandable that even though you have anxiety, you would be wondering about all the other symptoms like obsessive thoughts and skin picking, and anxiety in general may make you question whether you have anxiety or something else.

The symptoms you described can overlap with all the disorders you mentioned. Anxiety can cause worrying and obsessive thoughts as well as being fidgety and perhaps even skin picking. At the same time OCD can result in obsessive thoughts and urges. And with derma/trichotillomania the skin picking may have an underlying root with anxiety or OCD. Sometimes disorders may be 'co-morbid' meaning they can often occur together, and you may notice that when your anxiety gets worse, perhaps the skin picking or obsessive thoughts gets worse too.

It's really good that you have a therapist and psychiatrist and even better that you want to speak with them about this as they are in the best place to look over your diagnosis and find helpful ways of treating your symptoms.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20

Re: OCD, derma/trichotillomania, serious anxiety issues? - December 18th 2016, 06:41 PM

Thank you. <3
Closed Thread